Cannot Accuractly Set the Spirit Level on the Nodal Ninja 5

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cannot Accuractly Set the Spirit Level on the Nodal Ninja 5

Share/Bookmark
  1. Cannot Accuractly Set the Spirit Level on the Nodal Ninja 5

Im using a 30D and the 10-22 canon lens along with the EZ-2 and NN5.

First question once I have setup my everything and I want to level using the EZ-2 I cannont get a birds eye view (ie directly 90 degrees down) of the spirit level. I normally close one eye. I cant get this view because the lens is too thick. I now have to view the level sleightly off from birds eye view, hence I cant get it 100% to my satisfaction before I shoot. Has anyone noticed this? is it a problem?

Secondly when rotating around the and Im using the RD-16 The bubble moves off centre. I know the spirit level is exceptionaly sensetive and that it will drift, however I would like to know what is considered 'acceptable' drift before one can say well perhaps my rotator arm is bent/defective? I have never dropped my Panohead nor knocked it however when i rotate, at some points the bubble moves as to touch the black ring on the spirit leveler. This of course is when I view it from above as close to birds eye as possible.

Any ideas/solutions or am I doing somthing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Michael
  2. Re: Cannot Accuractly Set the Spirit Level on the Nodal Ninja 5

Another thing I'd like to add is what is the most accurate way to attach my quick release plate to my camera body? I usually reference it next to the letters and lines i can find on the bottem of the camera body but is there a 'more' accurate way?

thank you
  3. Re: Cannot Accuractly Set the Spirit Level on the Nodal Ninja 5

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by opticalmedia1 View Post

First question once I have setup my everything and I want to level using the EZ-2 I cannont get a birds eye view (ie directly 90 degrees down) of the spirit level. I normally close one eye. I cant get this view because the lens is too thick. I now have to view the level sleightly off from birds eye view, hence I cant get it 100% to my satisfaction before I shoot. Has anyone noticed this? is it a problem?

Secondly when rotating around the and Im using the RD-16 The bubble moves off centre. I know the spirit level is exceptionaly sensetive and that it will drift, however I would like to know what is considered 'acceptable' drift before one can say well perhaps my rotator arm is bent/defective? I have never dropped my Panohead nor knocked it however when i rotate, at some points the bubble moves as to touch the black ring on the spirit leveler. This of course is when I view it from above as close to birds eye as possible.
    Hi Michael,

Try to read the bubble from the side and at the back, just like reading a twin-axis bubble.
    to get more accurate leveling with EZ-L, rotate the lower rail so that it bisect the EZL. In this way you divide the 3 thumb wheels into 2 group. Use two wheels perpendicular to the lower rail to adjust the level of one axis. Use one wheel along the lower rail to adjust the leveling of other axis. You need to turn the wheels to the middle position first so that you can adjust the leveling in either direction.
    The bubble is very sensitive, as long as it does not moved out of the circle, it is fine. The movement of bubble depends on the accuracy of the leveling. It will not move if the level is perfect. It moves a bit if the level is slightly off. It moves a lot if the level is seriously off. So the movement depends on the accuracy of the level and accuracy of user adjustment. wrong adjustment amplify the movement. We have one customer returning the lower rail because the level is not accurate. After we check it, the level is in fact perfect.
    there are other reasons for the movement of bubble level. Check if the rotator is fully tightened to the EZ-L, and EZL fully tightened to the tripod. Check if the tripod (especially the center column) is rigid enough. Check if the tripod is on rigid ground.
    After taking more panos, you will find that the leveling is less critical then you think of. Leveling just affect how vertical and horizontal lines appear in the image, with a few clicks in the stitchers, you fix the problems. That is what the professionals tell me.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: Cannot Accuractly Set the Spirit Level on the Nodal Ninja 5

Quote Originally Posted by opticalmedia1 View Post
    Hi,
    My Sinar Handy had a very nice tool for it.
    An adjustable little mirror.
    From all sides the bubble was seen in birdview.
    Nice solution and can be made cheap I guess.
    Have Fun!

5. Re: Cannot Accuractly Set the Spirit Level on the Nodal Ninja 5

If the OP is trying this in the house, the softness of the carpet will totally prevent accurate setting of the level. As you walk around the tripod, the carpet compresses (or the floor shifts) enough to throw the bubble way off.

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?
+ Reply to Thread