Share/Bookmark
  1. High resolution pano made with NN5 and two lenses

http://dorin.europhoto.ro/dxn_pano/P...riei/pano.html

Shoot at march 15 2009.
    Camera 350D on NN5 with two lenses
    1) 18-55 mm @18mm for the sky and near to the tripod area
    and
    2) 50mm lens for the rest

Stitched in PTgui pro, published with KRpano.

cheers,
    Dorin
  2. Re: High resolution pano made with NN5 and two lenses

3. Re: High resolution pano made with NN5 and two lenses

Dorin,

Great job !

How many pictures taken for this high definition pano ?
  4. Re: High resolution pano made with NN5 and two lenses

Dorin does great work and takes a real passion for this. I enjoy seeing folks experimenting with different things.
  5. Re: High resolution pano made with NN5 and two lenses

Thank you gentlemens,

The final project in Ptgui contains 142 photos with 50mm plus 20 photos with 18mm, the idea was to make high resolution pano using only one good 18-55mm lens, Actually I did that too one day before , mean the same pano using the kit lens at 18mm then zoomed at 50mm but comparing with my 50mm the 18-55mm was at lower performance so I shoot it again next day using two lenses and the result is what you see. I've heard only good things about the new 18-55mm IS from Canon and I guess that is the way to go for such panoramas.

As a note using 50mm lens on 1.6 crop the level of the detetails is greater than one can see with the naked eye being there,
    that biring some extra to my panos and I'll try to use it whenever I can and in interesting/beautiful places.

The NN5 performed very well, the detent ring used was the one with 12¬? stops for the 50mm and at each third click-stop = 36¬? for 18mm.

cheers,
    Dorin

6. Re: High resolution pano made with NN5 and two lenses

Dorin,

Great panorama. That was a great idea to use the lower focal length for the sky that has less detail. Did Ptgui automatically deal with the different focal lengths, or did you need to do something extra? Obviously the 50mm prime will give you better results. That was the focal length that I was going to try next for my HDR panoramas.
  7. Re: High resolution pano made with NN5 and two lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Castillonis View Post
    Dorin,

Great panorama. That was a great idea to use the lower focal length for the sky that has less detail. Did Ptgui automatically deal with the different focal lengths, or did you need to do something extra? Obviously the 50mm prime will give you better results. That was the focal length that I was going to try next for my HDR panoramas.
    Hi, thank you for interest.

PTGui performed very well but not only by itself, it can automatically assist in manually placing the control points, but low resolution photos were masked with alpha channel to have only the sky visible and saved as PNG (a limitation of my selfmade editor, can't save .tif with alpha only .png for now)
    Also is need to have some skills to deal with projects having more than one lens, at optimisation so on..

Dorin
  8. Re: High resolution pano made with NN5 and two lenses

Amazing details! You can read the ads in the store windows and see pigeons flying above the distant hotel. Nicely done!

Jack Hoying
    Fort Loramie, Ohio