Lens Question for 5D Mark II

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lens Question for 5D Mark II

Share/Bookmark
  1. Lens Question for 5D Mark II

Hello Everyone, I have been using the NN5L For a few months now along with a Canon 30D , Sigma 10-20mm and Auto Pano Pro and have had some great success with this combo.
    I Picked up the 5D MK II a couple months back and a Sigma 12-24mm. I do allot of indoor panos and this combo is giving me some grief in the smaller rooms about 10x10 or so,But is Great for large rooms and Outdoors.
    Can anyone recommend a lens for these close quarters? would the Sigma 15mm fisheye be a step in the right direction? Or maybe some out there has this combo and could give some advice.
    Thanks...Tyson
  2. Re: Lens Question for 5D Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by focus2267 View Post
    this combo is giving me some grief in the smaller rooms about 10x10 or so,But is Great for large rooms and Outdoors.
    What problems do you have for smaller rooms? If you have the panohead correctly adjusted, there should be little difference between large rooms and small rooms. The Sigma 15mm should make things somewhat easier all round, but you might still have problems in small rooms.

John
  3. Re: Lens Question for 5D Mark II

Hi,Thanks for your response.In the smaller rooms I get allot of double lines and warping near the bottom but no sawtoothing.
    Not sure if you are familiar with Auto Pano Pro,But the software says the stitching is good with a RMS of about low to high 3s.
    but when I render the pano there is still quite a bit warped and broken lines. any ideas?
    I'm pretty sure the settings are correct on my NN5.But they are not in the camera settings section of the site.
  4. Re: Lens Question for 5D Mark II

The stitching errors might well be due to less than optimum setup of the panohead. In a small room, everything is closer to the camera and parallax errors are much more likely than for outdoor shoots. I suggest you check for parallax by including a close object (50cm away) set against a distant background in one of the overlaps of a 360 panorama. Stitch to a psd file and check for parallax shift when you switch layers on/off. (See the "tape on the window" test in http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm). Another possibility is Autopano Pro not performing as well as it might. There could be a shortage of suitable features for control points if the room has blank white walls, for instance. You might need to intervene and assign some extra control points in critical areas to help it along. It's difficult to advise without seeing your images. If you could make a set of jpeg copies available, I would be happy to try a stitch with PTGui.

John
  5. Re: Lens Question for 5D Mark II

Thanks John for your help the main problem area for me was the pantry doors.I took ten shots round @ 15mm but could only post eight.
    so let me know what you think thanks...Tyson
  6. Re: Lens Question for 5D Mark II

The images stitched fine in PTGui, though some additional manual control points were needed. The panohead setup looks to be very good. I've put the project file and stitched panorama in a zip file at http://www.johnhpanos.com/focus.zip (140KB).

John
  7. Re: Lens Question for 5D Mark II

Thanks for all your help John.I just had to mess with the manual controls a bit more.
+ Reply to Thread