About lens diameter

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About lens diameter

Share/Bookmark
  1. About lens diameter

Hi all,

I don't have NN yet but planning to buy it...probably NN5 or NN5L..

One quick case that i can't find the answer yet:
    The lens diameter is larger than the height of the camera body, in this case for example, Canon 400D is paired with any lens that has 77mm ring diameter (e.g. 17-40, 10-22)

Considering that the tip of the lens will be over the base of the camera, do i need to add something between the camera plate & camera body (for example T adapter) so that there will be enough space for the tip of the lens....so it will not touch the rotating arm?

Hopefully i describe my issuw well enough so that everybody will get the general idea of it...

Thanks,
    Riefa

Cheers,
    Riefa Istamar
    www.idVR360.com
  2. Re: About lens diameter

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by riefa View Post
    Hi all,

I don't have NN yet but planning to buy it...probably NN5 or NN5L..

One quick case that i can't find the answer yet:
    The lens diameter is larger than the height of the camera body, in this case for example, Canon 400D is paired with any lens that has 77mm ring diameter (e.g. 17-40, 10-22)

Considering that the tip of the lens will be over the base of the camera, do i need to add something between the camera plate & camera body (for example T adapter) so that there will be enough space for the tip of the lens....so it will not touch the rotating arm?

Hopefully i describe my issuw well enough so that everybody will get the general idea of it...

Thanks,
    Riefa
    the camera mounting plate add to the height of camera by 10mm. Assuming the height from camera base to lens axis is same as 350D (37.5mm), you can safely mount a lens of diameter smaller than 95mm.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: About lens diameter

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    the camera mounting plate add to the height of camera by 10mm. Assuming the height from camera base to lens axis is same as 350D (37.5mm), you can safely mount a lens of diameter smaller than 95mm.

Nick
    Great... thanks a lot Nick...

also i've found this http://www.panoguide.com/forums/tipsntricks/3974/ at other forum posted by user named halflife...may be i just quote it directly below:
    So, using this special technique smile presented in the following picture, I have measured PRECISELY the distance from the base of the Canon 400D aka XTi to the optical axis of this camera. Using a digital caliper I have found this distance to be exactly 37.8 mm. A similar method showed me that the distance between the center of the tripod socket and the lens mount is exactly 38.1 mm.
    Slightly (only 0.3 mm) difference measurement though...but i think that won't be a big problem...

Once again, thanks for the info Nick..

Cheers,
    Riefa

Cheers,
    Riefa Istamar
    www.idVR360.com
+ Reply to Thread