Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions about Quick Release

Share/Bookmark
  1. Questions about Quick Release

Users Country Flag

Hello to all,
    I just received my NN5 with RD-12 along with Quick Release system,

But unable to attach quick release to the head, any ideas how to go about it ?

Should I attach to the default attachment which comes with NN5 or should I remove it and attach QR directly to head, in that case how do I measure the scale, no reference marking on the QR as with default camera plate ?

Any write up on the net on using the QR system ?

Able to connect without QR System.
  2. Re: Questions about Quick Release

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by KVS Setty View Post
    Hello to all,
    I just received my NN5 with RD-12 along with Quick Release system,

But unable to attach quick release to the head, any ideas how to go about it ?

Should I attach to the default attachment which comes with NN5 or should I remove it and attach QR directly to head, in that case how do I measure the scale, no reference marking on the QR as with default camera plate ?

Any write up on the net on using the QR system ?

Able to connect without QR System.
    You should remove the camera mounting plate first. Then you attach the QR2 to the upper rail. There is a mark at the bottom of QR2. You minus 4.5mm from the settings in the database if you use our QR plate.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Questions about Quick Release

Users Country Flag

Thanks Nick, I will try that.

I did not notice that mark, is it the one on the small rectangular piece (with the crock material ) which is at the back of the QR system ? I definitely know it is not big quick release plate which attaches to the camera

Second doubt, where does the release knob appear after attaching the QR, is it at the top or bottom or at the sides ?

Is it possible to post a pic showing the QR attachment to the head ?

I can learn lot more of things by seeing a pic.

Should I minus 4.5mm on both A and B settings (base horizontal scale and upper arm scale respectively) ? (I think I have to on both settings, my logical thinking says )
  4. Re: Questions about Quick Release

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by KVS Setty View Post
    Thanks Nick, I will try that.

I did not notice that mark, is it the one on the small rectangular piece (with the crock material ) which is at the back of the QR system ? I definitely know it is not big quick release plate which attaches to the camera

Second doubt, where does the release knob appear after attaching the QR, is it at the top or bottom or at the sides ?

Is it possible to post a pic showing the QR attachment to the head ?

I can learn lot more of things by seeing a pic.

Should I minus 4.5mm on both A and B settings (base horizontal scale and upper arm scale respectively) ? (I think I have to on both settings, my logical thinking says )
    The QR release knob should be pointing bottom if you have the upper rail pointing 90 deg up. I will ask Bill to take some photos for illustration. He has the photographic setup ready.
    to answer your other question. There is a white line at the bottom of the QR clamp. see the first photo
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/qrs-2.htm
    This line is used for reproducible mounting of QR on the upper rail. It is 4.5mm in front of the tripod socket of the camera if you use our plate. So minus 4.5mm from the upper rail setting from our database.
    The thickness with QR plate mounting on the clamp is 12mm thicker than the camera mounting plate. So you should add 12mm to the lower rail setting from the database.
    Note that these figures vary with QR plate used. If you use Manfrotto/ Gitzo plate, the figures are different. You just need to do the NPP calibration process again.

Nick

Fanotec
  5. Re: Questions about Quick Release

Users Country Flag

Thanks Nick,
    I appreciate your service support and customer care.

Now I know, why your brand is so popular among panographers.
  6. Re: Questions about Quick Release

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    This line is used for reproducible mounting of QR on the upper rail. It is 4.5mm in front of the tripod socket of the camera if you use our plate. So minus 4.5mm from the upper rail setting from our database.
    The thickness with QR plate mounting on the clamp is 12mm thicker than the camera mounting plate. So you should add 12mm to the lower rail setting from the database.
    Note that these figures vary with QR plate used. If you use Manfrotto/ Gitzo plate, the figures are different. You just need to do the NPP calibration process again.

Nick

Hi nick,

Im using a canon 30d, canon 10-22 ef-s, NN5 and RD-16 rotator and My setting differ to those shown on the data base @ 10mm. Im 99% sure that I have set my camera up as accuratly as possible for this setup which is 100mm on the lower rail and 104mm on the upper rail. So now I'm wondering how accurate are those values for the same setup on the data base and how does the minus 4.5mm and plus 12mm come into play? Any comments?
  7. Re: Questions about Quick Release

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by opticalmedia1 View Post
    Hi nick,

Im using a canon 30d, canon 10-22 ef-s, NN5 and RD-16 rotator and My setting differ to those shown on the data base @ 10mm. Im 99% sure that I have set my camera up as accuratly as possible for this setup which is 100mm on the lower rail and 104mm on the upper rail. So now I'm wondering how accurate are those values for the same setup on the data base and how does the minus 4.5mm and plus 12mm come into play? Any comments?
    those data are just for a start only. They are submitted by customers and are not verified by us. At the end, the stitching result is the final prove. If you got your stitching right, trust your findings. :-)
    Later, I will try to verify the data when I have more time.

Nick

Fanotec
  8. Re: Questions about Quick Release - tutorial

I placed a brief tutorial on how to properly use the quick release system.
    here it is: http://www.nodalninja.com/qrs2_tutorial.html
    Hope you can understand the basic principles - it was a rush job to help answer some questions.
    thx
    Bill
  9. Re: Questions about Quick Release

Hi Bill,
    I read in your tutorial that the QR system doesn't work well with the NN3. There's any concrete issue that would prevent me to buy it? Also I'm interested in mantain the QR 323 plate from manfrotto to the camera to be able to change quickly from NN3 to only tripod, what's the exact difference between your QR plate and manfrotto's? I assume the plate stop wouldn't work for the manfrotto's, but there's any other issue?
    Thanks a lot for your good product and support.
    pau
  10. Re: Questions about Quick Release

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pau.cc View Post
    Hi Bill,
    I read in your tutorial that the QR system doesn't work well with the NN3. There's any concrete issue that would prevent me to buy it? Also I'm interested in mantain the QR 323 plate from manfrotto to the camera to be able to change quickly from NN3 to only tripod, what's the exact difference between your QR plate and manfrotto's? I assume the plate stop wouldn't work for the manfrotto's, but there's any other issue?
    Thanks a lot for your good product and support.
    pau
    the handle of QRC2 requires more free space for full rotation. if you don't need full rotation, it works well for NN3. In fact you don't need exactly +90 deg for many wide angle lens.

Nick

Fanotec
  11. Re: Questions about Quick Release

Hey pau.cc
    I amended the description a bit to help clarify. As Nick pointed out our QRS will work with some camera and lens combinations but you might be left with limitations and/or finding yourself needing make adjustment compensations as Nick pointed out.
    We like to encourage folks wanting to use a quick release plate system to please consider using the NN5's.
    We have great prices on entry level NN'5 like the NN5L and even some used NN5L PKG's for only about $70 more than a NN3 PKG.
    thx
    Bill
  12. Re: Questions about Quick Release

If there is an issue with the lever sticking out too far to prevent a nadir shot on the NN3 can the clamp be flipped so the lever is inboard? I mounted my Kirk clamp this way for just that reason. Makes it a little tough to tighten, but I don't have the $ 105.00 for a RRS lever clamp, which would not work with my Kirk camera plate anyway!
+ Reply to Thread