Camera Adjustmens with Telephoto Lenses

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camera Adjustmens with Telephoto Lenses

Share/Bookmark
  1. Camera Adjustmens with Telephoto Lenses

I have NN5 and am using telephoto lenses that have a upper rail nodal point adjustment close to the rotational axis. (+10mm to -10 mm). I can't get the camera any closer than + or - 35mm to the vertical axis. Any ideas how to do this?
  2. Re: Camera Adjustmens with Telephoto Lenses

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by photofly View Post
    I have NN5 and am using telephoto lenses that have a upper rail nodal point adjustment close to the rotational axis. (+10mm to -10 mm). I can't get the camera any closer than + or - 35mm to the vertical axis. Any ideas how to do this?
    you need to use a T-adapter. what lens are you using?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Camera Adjustmens with Telephoto Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by photofly View Post
    Not sure what lens you are using but many long lens uses a lens collar mounting bracket. This is what you should use to mount your camera/lens to the NN5.

4. Re: Camera Adjustmens with Telephoto Lenses

I'm using the Nikon 28-105mm and the Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 macro (equivalent to the Kiron 105mm macro that everyone raves about). Neither has a lens collar.

I've noticed that many of the prime telephoto lenses force you to mount the camera close to the rotational point of the upper bracket or force you to mount the camera in front of the rotational point.
  5. Re: Camera Adjustmens with Telephoto Lenses

The entrance pupil for a telephoto might be positioned within the camera body or even behind it. Maybe you could mount the camera with the top rail pointing forwards in the opposite direction to normal.

John
  6. Re: Camera Adjustmens with Telephoto Lenses

John, New to NN5 and interested in using 80-200mm Canon for stitched mega pixel images (not 360 panos). Wondering how big an issue parallax might be at 150mm to 200 mm? Any thoughts? Stitching in either PT Gui or PS CS3.
  7. Re: Camera Adjustmens with Telephoto Lenses

I've been trying a Canon 135mm L on a Canon 5D MarkII--mounting the camera backwards on the rail to get the entrance pupil (which is behind the camera body) in the right place. This seems to work well. The combo is still light enough to handle and I could use a 1.4x or 2x extender with that lens on the NN5 with ease.

Frankly, the size of a mosaic with just the 135mm at the 5DII's resolution gets out of hand, fast. It's difficult to handle the stitching and files--even with Autopano Giga using all 8 cores of the Mac's processor. Check out this shot of the Empire State Building I've uploaded to the gigapan.org site. It is 30,000 pixels wide at this REDUCED size. The original is over 2.5 billion pixels. When I have the time, I'll fix the few stitching problems near the street signs.

http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=19387
+ Reply to Thread