Upgrading my NN3

Thread: Upgrading my NN3

Share/Bookmark
  1. Upgrading my NN3

Hello !

I've been doing cubic VR panoramas for let's say a year and a half now. I am using a Canon Rebel XT (without the grip) and different lenses (18-55 kit lens, 17-50 Tamron lens and the 10-20 Sigma one), i.e. nothing very heavy.

My NN3 (first version) is not bad but I never found that middle screw tightening method simple nor perfect. (This probably explains why the new rotator has been created.) If I want the rotator to click in well when I turn it, I cannot put the screw too far in, and this brings some little wobbling or instability in the head (the weight of the camera slightly deviates the system towards it). Probably this is not a big problem, but little imperfections adding one to another can create serious difficulties in assembling a spherical panorama.

So, here are my first questions : is there something I can do for my "old" NN3 to be perfectly stable ? Perhaps the detent springs or the detent rings are a bit worn out ? I didn't take any risk changing the detent plunger adjustments, maybe should I ? Otherwise, do I have to upgrade my NN3 ? I would then consider getting the RD8 rotator.

Another thing I don't find practical is that I cannot fit my camera + 10-20 Sigma on the rail as is, the lens diameter is to big (by the way, I think the user settings indicated on this site are incorrect, I can give you the ones that I think are good if someone confirms this). So, what I do is that I add the T-adapter for the camera to be a bit higher. However, I therefore need to make sure the T-adapter is perfectly aligned with the rail + with the camera.

My second question is : I suppose the camera plate came out at the same time the NN3 MkII did. Will it perfectly fit the rail of my NN3 ? I'm quite sure it would, but I prefer asking before ordering stuff over here in France. This would be simpler to use than my present solution.

Thank you for reading my long message and for your help !

Michael
  2. Re: Upgrading my NN3

Hi Michael,

The wobbling you are experiencing is probably due to some wear and tear to the parts of the rotator. You should have found in the NN3 package a spare parts bag, which are to be used as a replacement when needed. As the official warranty/repair center for Europe, I will be more than glad to have a look at your unit and restore it to perfect functionality. Please note that the detent rings are not covered by manufacturer's warranty.

So said, you should take in serious consideration the option to upgrade the rotator. The mkII version allows to set up the friction grade on the rotator simply by tightening and untightening the central knob and it is recommended for all our older NN3 users. Also, with the R-D8 rotator you will take a further step ahead.

About the N-CP1 Standard Camera Plate, it is a perfect fit also for your NN3.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with the forum or a direct email to cs@nodalninja.com for any doubt or question!

Cheers,
    Mauro

Mauro Contrafatto
    Customer Service Manager
    cs@nodalninja.com
  3. Re: Upgrading my NN3

Hi Mauro,

Thank you for your quick answer and info. OK so these slight problems aren't abnormal after having used the head for a while. I think I'll be getting one of these advanced rotators, as they seem very sturdy and durable, and can be used later with an NN5 or a future model, the day I get heavier gear. But once I ordered it and got it, I should contact you to send you my "old"rotator (after checking what I can do with the spare parts, which I haven't done yet ).

Anyway, happy to know about your warranty and repair service in Europe, this is useful information.

Good evening,

Michael
  4. Re: Upgrading my NN3

Hi,

I'm not far from buying the R-D8 rotator, but I'm still not, because I'm not sure about a few things.

- In the technical specs, it is written: "Notes: Designed to mount with lower rail systems of current Nodal Ninja's using anti-twist sockets and M6 female thread with supplied 1/4 hex screw. (NN3 older version will require cork or compression washer not yet available)" Does this mean it won't fit my first generation NN3 ?

- About the Mount Kit that must be selected (either NN3 or NN5) when ordering the rotator: I don't see what the mount kit is. If I order the NN3 one, will I have to get a new rotator if I get a NN5 one day ?

- What are the design flaws of the refurbished version ?

Sorry if the answers are allready on the forum or the site, I did look around a little but didn't find this info. Thank you for your help !

Michael
  5. Re: Upgrading my NN3

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AlchomK View Post
    Hi,

I'm not far from buying the R-D8 rotator, but I'm still not, because I'm not sure about a few things.

- In the technical specs, it is written: "Notes: Designed to mount with lower rail systems of current Nodal Ninja's using anti-twist sockets and M6 female thread with supplied 1/4 hex screw. (NN3 older version will require cork or compression washer not yet available)" Does this mean it won't fit my first generation NN3 ?

- About the Mount Kit that must be selected (either NN3 or NN5) when ordering the rotator: I don't see what the mount kit is. If I order the NN3 one, will I have to get a new rotator if I get a NN5 one day ?

- What are the design flaws of the refurbished version ?

Sorry if the answers are allready on the forum or the site, I did look around a little but didn't find this info. Thank you for your help !

Michael
    sorry for the confusion. anti-twisting plate for NN3/II is included in the package. I decide to give it out free of charge at the end. :-)
    we can offer you NN5 without rotator upon request. Just ask your reseller. The corresponding pins/screw will be included. so you can reuse your rotator.

the refurbished rotator has some dimensional errors and require a fix. The fix causes minor cosmetic defects either inside or outside. It may also rotate less smoothly very slightly. Unless you have 2 rotators side by side, you won't notice their difference. We have very high standard for the advanced rotators, I decide to sell these units as refurbs. They are limited in quantity and are good bargains.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  6. Re: Upgrading my NN3

OK, thank you for your help Nick.
  7. Re: Upgrading my NN3

Order the newest version while you put your old one on eBay.

You'll get good money for the old one and never have to think about it again.

Kiss it goodbye.

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?