Orienting camera mounting plate

Thread: Orienting camera mounting plate

Share/Bookmark
  1. Orienting camera mounting plate

I just received my NN3 MKII. My D200 has a Really Right Stuff L-bracket on it and there's a mounting hole in it that I presume I can use for attaching the camera mounting plate. (That hole is to the rear of the D200's hole for mounting brackets.)

First question: Is it OK to screw the camera mounting plate into the hole on the L-bracket, or do I have to remove the L-bracket?

Second question: Does it make any difference in which direction I mount the camera mounting plate? The illustrations in the manual all show the plate with the extra hole on the bracket placed to the rear of the brass screw used to attach the plate to the camera. If I keep the L-bracket on my camera, the camera mounting bracket sits under more of the camera body and appears to be more stable if I rotate the entire plate 180 degrees, so that the bracket's extra hole is pointing towards the front of the camera.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Re: Orienting camera mounting plate

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dkosiur View Post
    I just received my NN3 MKII. My D200 has a Really Right Stuff L-bracket on it and there's a mounting hole in it that I presume I can use for attaching the camera mounting plate. (That hole is to the rear of the D200's hole for mounting brackets.)

First question: Is it OK to screw the camera mounting plate into the hole on the L-bracket, or do I have to remove the L-bracket?
    It depends on the area of contact and the hole placement (whether it is still along the lens axis). You can try it. there is no harm.

Quote Originally Posted by dkosiur View Post
    Second question: Does it make any difference in which direction I mount the camera mounting plate? The illustrations in the manual all show the plate with the extra hole on the bracket placed to the rear of the brass screw used to attach the plate to the camera. If I keep the L-bracket on my camera, the camera mounting bracket sits under more of the camera body and appears to be more stable if I rotate the entire plate 180 degrees, so that the bracket's extra hole is pointing towards the front of the camera.
    no difference. by mounting in different orientation, you can change the max/min distance on the upper rail by 10mm.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Orienting camera mounting plate

I understand that RRS plates are slightly different than the Arca Swiss standard, but why wouldn't you use the RRS bracket to fit into the NN QR? I find it silly that the folks at RRS needed to make their system incompatible with Arca Swiss ( but only slightly )