Cross hair target on detent knob...

Thread: Cross hair target on detent knob...

Share/Bookmark
  1. Cross hair target on detent knob...

In a recent post, I suggested putting a cross hair target on the detent knob so that the camera can be more easily aligned in the horizontal plane. All you have to do is sight the cross hair target with the cross hair on the LCD (assuming there is one)

I'd like to expand this idea to making the cross hair target out of white balance white plastic. So you get a cross hair to adjust the camera in the horizontal plane and a white balance target for post all in one little piece of plastic.

DD
  2. Re: Cross hair target on detent knob...

Hey DD - we appreciate your suggestions. I know Nick has something up his sleeve on this concern as others have suggested similar.
    thx
    Bill
  3. Re: Cross hair target on detent knob...

Nooooo!!! I refuse to accept that someone else had the same idea -- I'm King of the --- oh well....

DD
  4. Re: Cross hair target on detent knob...

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Nooooo!!! I refuse to accept that someone else had the same idea -- I'm King of the --- oh well....
    DD
    Well not that exact idea but similar - hence the Nodal Ninja markings on the default rotators
    which I believe John Houghton had some input with.
    Fanotec is well know for listening to their customers :-)

5. Re: Cross hair target on detent knob...

...I must have an early NN3. It just has Nodal Ninja written in kind of script.

John's input to the community is very valuable...
  6. Re: Cross hair target on detent knob...

I understand why John designed that pattern now. If you have a real short lens or maybe a fisheye, a simple crosshair might not be visible in the viewfinder/LCD at the zoom level you would shoot at. So the modified Maltese cross makes more sense.
  7. Re: Cross hair target on detent knob...

I was messing with this a little while ago, after guessing that might be what that design on the top was for... And I'm a little confused.

I took at look at the Nikon Settings page, and it gives a measurement of 40mm from rotator to leading edge of the arm(the A measurement) for a D40 with an 18-55mm. When I put an 18-55mm lens on my D40, it looks like a *redacted*mm setting is correct, when pointing straight down on the rotator.

I took an image pointing straight down on the rotator(and it's just barely inside the minimum focus distance of the lens, sorry), and then cut it in half using the canvas adjustment relative to top and bottom, and chose 50% for each.

What I ended up getting was almost perfectly centered vertically(and one would assume horizontally, once it was swung down out of the vertical position).

Is the difference(which is quite a bit more than the 3mm of variance mentioned on the settings sheet) between this and the settings sheet part of the skewing that's mentioned to help track down people appropriating settings for competing products, or am I missing something really obvious?