NN5, D70 and Sigma 10-20mm help pls

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN5, D70 and Sigma 10-20mm help pls

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. NN5, D70 and Sigma 10-20mm help pls

I know this might be a simple one for those who are better experienced in this now. But am new on this and need some guidance. Just got a new NN5 and using it with D70 and Sigma 10-20 lens. My settings for eliminating paralax seem to work well but I still have serious problems stitching the nadir and Zenith in the panorama. If I work it with nadir and zenith in PTGUi, I can make a movie but with the black home top and bottom of image. Most of the tutorials am viewing on-line are using only 6 horizontal images while I have been shooting about 36 horizontal. Is anyone using the same combinations and could have the time to give me a run through of how I could manage this please. Once I have even tried creating cubic faces in Pano2vr but when I try to convert the edited faces back to panorama, I get error file that can be read again in PTGUi.

Pls help.
  2. Re: NN5, D70 and Sigma 10-20mm help pls

I assume you are not using the 10mm end of the zoom range to need so many images. If you can get a good optimization report for just the horizontal images, then add the zenith image and assign contol points between it and images in the top row. Switch into advanced mode via the button on the right of the Project Assistant. Select the optimize tab and then in the Minimize Lens Distortion pull down menu, select "Heavy + lens shift". Click on optimize and that should get the zenith into the correct position. As always, check the control point table for any points with large distances reported and investigate their placement via the Control Points tab, correcting them or deleting them as appropriate. Reoptimize and repeat until a good optimization is obtained.

The nadir may be treated in a similar way or not, depending on how you took it - i.e. on the panohead like the others, or with the camera hand held, or on the pano head with the tripod shifted sideways to clear the original nadir area.

John
  3. Re: NN5, D70 and Sigma 10-20mm help pls

Hi John, thanks for the quick response. Am using the 10mm end of the lens.
  4. Re: NN5, D70 and Sigma 10-20mm help pls

Then the recommended configuration of shots (from http://www.vrwave.com/) is: N, 4 images every 90¬? at -60¬? pitch, 8 images every 45¬? at 0¬? pitch, 4 images every 90¬? at +60¬? pitch, no zenith image required. Or you can do: N, 8 images every 45¬? at -30¬? pitch, 8 images every 45¬? at +30¬? pitch, Z . Taking more images (at 10mm) will not increase the quality. You would need to take them at a longer focal length to get any useful benefit.

John

5. Re: NN5, D70 and Sigma 10-20mm help pls

Thanks for the great help. Out of the original images, I have manage now to create a interactive panorama. Now I just need to fine tune my photoshop layering capabilities to help in removal of the tripod image in picture. Again thanks much
+ Reply to Thread