NN3 or NN5? (for Nikon D300 with Nikon 10.5mm)

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3 or NN5? (for Nikon D300 with Nikon 10.5mm)

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 or NN5? (for Nikon D300 with Nikon 10.5mm)

I have read in different posts that the NN3 is really for smaller DSLRs and the NN5 should be used for the larger models, like my D300. However, I also saw a table that specifies that the NN3 is fine for the the D300 with a smaller lens like the Nikon 10.5 mm fisheye.

I am making an assumption that the heavier NN5 is stronger than the NN3. Given that I am reading different information in the posts that points in two different directions, with the setup proposed, which model should I buy--the NN3 or the NN5? Will both units work equally well? If so, I would prefer the NN3, because of its more compact size.

Also, if most of my work will be doing landscape panoramas, because of the distance involved, is it better to choose a different lens, such as the Sigma 10-17 and work at the 17mm end of the range? If so, under this setup, is the NN5 preferred?

I appreciate the advice.

2. Re: NN3 or NN5? (for Nikon D300 with Nikon 10.5mm)

Hi JASPER00,
    Welcome to the forum.
    The NN3 MKII will work best without limitation for your - I have the same gear. And you can mount your camera in landscape mode if you wanted.
    The NN5 is good if you wanted to use longer focal length lenses or battery grip with your D300.
    Bill
  3. Re: NN3 or NN5? (for Nikon D300 with Nikon 10.5mm)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JASPER00 View Post
    I have read in different posts that the NN3 is really for smaller DSLRs and the NN5 should be used for the larger models, like my D300. However, I also saw a table that specifies that the NN3 is fine for the the D300 with a smaller lens like the Nikon 10.5 mm fisheye.

I am making an assumption that the heavier NN5 is stronger than the NN3. Given that I am reading different information in the posts that points in two different directions, with the setup proposed, which model should I buy--the NN3 or the NN5? Will both units work equally well? If so, I would prefer the NN3, because of its more compact size.

Also, if most of my work will be doing landscape panoramas, because of the distance involved, is it better to choose a different lens, such as the Sigma 10-17 and work at the 17mm end of the range? If so, under this setup, is the NN5 preferred?

I appreciate the advice.

In deciding which model to buy, you need to consider the camera body as well as lens. For heavier body, a lighter and smaller lens should be used on NN3.
    Which sigma 10-17mm are you refering to? I can't find it in google.

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: NN3 or NN5? (for Nikon D300 with Nikon 10.5mm)

Oops! My mistake. I meant the Tokina 10-17mm, not the Sigma 10-17 (which, as you found, does not exist.)
  5. Re: NN3 or NN5? (for Nikon D300 with Nikon 10.5mm)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JASPER00 View Post
    Oops! My mistake. I meant the Tokina 10-17mm, not the Sigma 10-17 (which, as you found, does not exist.)
    The Tokina should work fine.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  6. Re: NN3 or NN5? (for Nikon D300 with Nikon 10.5mm)

Am also thinking that if its not about the cost difference, wouldnt it be alright to buy one gear that would fit all your panorama needs and fit a variety of camera bodies? I opted for example to buy NN5 as much as now I still use D70 body most of the time for my panos. But i got D200 with battery grip and a D3 on its way. Been doing landscapes but now can easily move to interiors without having to consider a different head. I can consequently adapt any kind of panos I need and use any of the available bodies on the same head.
+ Reply to Thread