Knobs WAY TOO BIG

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knobs WAY TOO BIG

Share/Bookmark
  1. Knobs WAY TOO BIG

Well after a lot of frustration I realize it comes down to this, I can either use the NN3 by itself without the QC2 release or with very few lenses with it.

Neither option works for me.

It seems the QC2 didn't account for the knobs. they simply are WAY TOO BIG and the 30mm of adjustment I lose at either end of the spectrum depending on which way I mount the plate means some of my lenses don't work with each orientation.

Here is the deal, I understand the knobs were made big for ease of use, but the release plate actually takes precedence over the knobs for me.

Why? Well dealing with cold metal in 0F weather is not fun, having to switch my tripod plates back and forth is not fun, hence the quick release.

The knobs on the other hand are much less important because if you know you are using lens A and need settings A you can preset everything before getting outside.

So questions:

1) Does Fanotech have plans to make smaller knobs?

2) can these type knobs be bought off the shelf at a hardware store or online supplier?

3) even knobs that adjusted with a hex key wouldn't be a bad idea...sure you have to keep track of the key, but you could just attach it to the tripod, or leave it in the camera bag, this would give 100% range from the head, and probably be more durable in the long run. I'd personally be OK with paying like $15-20 shipped for an option like this.

The bottom line is with the QC2 I lose about 35mm of adjustment regardless of which way I set the plate up, and the main problem is I need about 20mm of that adjustment range back. So my plate is limited to about 55mm or 90mm no matter what.

Knobs about 50% smaller would perhaps give me most of that range but the allen key/hex key option seems like the most sensible alternative with most range!
  2. Re: Knobs WAY TOO BIG

Actually, the more and more I think about this, the less an issue it is overall.

The reason why, is for one row panos in a wilderness setting, I will most definitely be using either my 21mm, 35 or 43mm limited (more likely the 35/43mm). Both of these work with the QR plate in the same orientation, as does my 90mm prime which I've found useful for distant landscapes.

I'd probably use the NN3 in urban settings, indoors, etc with the Sigma 10-20mm at 10-14mm which is where I noticed the problem. For this I can just use the old clamp sans QR. Since these two types of photography for me DO NOT overlap switching the plates ins't a huge hardship for me personally.

However, as an improvement, and an upgrade option, I do think an optional set of smaller knobs, or hex bolts be a reasonable thing to consider for fanotec as the cost of this couldn't be very high for either fanotec or the customer, and would solve quite a few problems! I've noticed other people need to reverse the plate as well, which while not a big deal, could make things confusion if switching lenses for different subject matter, and you forget to rotate the plate! From my perspective, keeping things simple means less chance to make a mistake, and more quality shots!
  3. Re: Knobs WAY TOO BIG

Users Country Flag

I am making new knob for the QRC2. I will offer it free for old customers when available.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: Knobs WAY TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    ...free for old customers...

Nick
    At what age do you consider us "old" ?
    Need to know if I qualify!

David
  5. Re: Knobs WAY TOO BIG

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    At what age do you consider us "old" ?
    Need to know if I qualify!

David
    those who bought the QR before the new knob was available would be classified as "old" customers.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread