N3II-RD12 with Canon 5D Mark II and EF 16-35mm 2.8 L II Lens

Thread: N3II-RD12 with Canon 5D Mark II and EF 16-35mm 2.8 L II Lens

Share/Bookmark
  1. N3II-RD12 with Canon 5D Mark II and EF 16-35mm 2.8 L II Lens

I just got my Nodal Ninja 3 MKII w/Rotator R-D12 in the mail today. I'm trying to set it up right now with my Canon 5D Mark II and EF 16-35mm 2.8 L II Lens and I'm not sure on how to set the upper rail properly. I looked in the recommended settings for the 5D and my Lens and it says to set it at 119mm. The only problem is the with the camera mounting plate on it can't reach that far back on the rail. Does anyone have a work around for this or should I just upgrade to the NN5?
  2. Re: N3II-RD12 with Canon 5D Mark II and EF 16-35mm 2.8 L II Lens

Hi Stephen,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Learning how to find no parallax point (NPP) or entrance pupil of a lens is highly encouraged for all users. Once understood it really is easy to adopt and use.
    We show how to find the entrance pupil of a lens in our manual.
    Also here is a link to a tutorial by John Houghton in how to find the no parallax point of a lens:
    http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm
    Also the Canon 5D w/ 16-35mm lens combo will work. However if doing full 360x180 spherical panos, this lens will only allow for partial tilt up. To shoot the zenith (up shot) with this lens you will either need to move the camera/lens forward on the upper rail to allow for full rotation or simply shoot manually (as most do). You could also shoot two rows - one row to catch the zenith (top) and one row to catch the nadir (floor). For many this is not a big deal but thought I would share this.
    NN5 does not have this limitation and might be worthy of consideration.
    Hope this helps
    Bill
  3. Re: N3II-RD12 with Canon 5D Mark II and EF 16-35mm 2.8 L II Lens

I went through the manual and the link you provided but the camera has to be set back further then the top rail will allow with the camera mount on to be set right. It will only go as far as 106mm and it needs to be set around the 119mm mark. Can I upgrade to the NN5 w/RD16 rotator? I think this would work out better for my setup.
  4. Re: N3II-RD12 with Canon 5D Mark II and EF 16-35mm 2.8 L II Lens

sure touch basis with me off site bill[at]nodalninja[dot]com- we'll fix you up.
    thx