Pano heads should be green or blue not black...

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pano heads should be green or blue not black...

Share/Bookmark
  1. Pano heads should be green or blue not black...

Special effects in movies are done in front of a green or blue screen because those colors are easy to mask out.

Doing the nadir patch -- I think -- sometimes involves masking the pano head and tripod -- and assorted body parts.

If the pano head and tripod were green or blue -- wouldn't that make masking easier? I can't speak to the body part problem.

DD
  2. Re: Pano heads should be green or blue not black...

Simple answer is no it wouldn't. The patching process for removing a tripod doesn't use green screen so there's no benefit.

Badders
  3. Re: Pano heads should be green or blue not black...

Green screen effects like you see when someone is presenting a weather forecast are produced by having a computer watch a green background. The computer then paints the weather backdrop on everything green.

Since the presenter isn't green, they look like they are in front of the background. In the studio, there's just a green sheet behind them.

This is what happens when a weather presenter wears the wrong color tie:
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Y0CghAKgY4E&hl=en&fs=1

While it would be cool to do the same thing with a panoramic head, you'd need another camera underneath the tripod head(obviously you don't have a picture of the area under the tripod already, or you wouldn't be shooting the panorama to begin with), to feed an image to a computer, etc.

Easier just to patch it.
  4. Re: Pano heads should be green or blue not black...

No, that's not what I meant. I meant that green or blue might be an easier color to mask. But maybe not.

Just trying to shake up the now almost dogmatic ways of thinking about things. Panoramic photography
    is lurching slowly toward rigid thinking about things that should be a way to free your mind.
  5. Re: Pano heads should be green or blue not black...

That's an interesting idea. Something like a chartruese tripod head might be helpful in that regard. The only time I could really see it being an issue would be on a very dark colored floor.
  6. Re: Pano heads should be green or blue not black...

Actually the more I think about it, the way the light hits the tripod would make different luminosity values of what ever color it was. That probably would make it harder to select that particular color as a selection to turn into a mask. I don't know. It would be worth experimenting with.

But even better than a colored tripod would be a simple cone that fits over the tripod so that you would only have to select around a circle instead of all the different angles and fittings and separate legs of the tripod.
  7. Re: Pano heads should be green or blue not black...

I believe the largest factor is consumer demand - just hasn't been a lot of requests. When Nick produces many of these parts the anodizing is done in batches to cut costs. Doing different colors would be expensive especially if they didn't sell.
    But I agree, even at a higher cost, it would be great if Fanotec could accommodate with any custom color a customer chooses.
    That said how much more you would be willing to pay for an all blue head?
  8. Re: Pano heads should be green or blue not black...

Powder coat may be an option for bright and durable finishes. You could do one relatively inexpensively, I'd guess way under $100...

Might be an issue with some of the attached parts(cork under the MII rotator, rubber grip on the rotator, etc.) not liking the baking temps for curing, though.
+ Reply to Thread