Will Nodal Ninja 3 + MKII work with Canon Mark II and 24-105

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will Nodal Ninja 3 + MKII work with Canon Mark II and 24-105

Share/Bookmark
  1. Will Nodal Ninja 3 + MKII work with Canon Mark II and 24-105

I would like to start doing some panorama work and right now I would like to use my 24-105 Canon lens with the Canon 5D Mark II. I did get a response stating some lenses may be too big from customer service but the dimensions and weight were metric, so I am not sure if the 24-105 would be too large for the Nodal Ninja 3 Mark II and the 5D Mark II camera body.

Two other questions and actually one is just asking for an opinion. I could get the Canon 50mm 1.8 and my understanding this lens will be sharp when shooting stopped down. I wonder if I would notice any difference in sharpness using my 24-105 at 40 to 50mm or the 50mm 1.8 if shooting stopped down. I had considered buying the Really Right Stuff Pano kit and the price would be about $600 which would include a needed L bracket for my 5D (I plan on shooting in the vertical mode most often). So even if I bought the 50mm 1.8 my total outlay getting the Nodal Ninja set up would be a few hundred less.

This probably is going to seem like a dumb question but I want to know just what I need to use the NN on a Kirk ballhead. I understand it is simply an arca camera plate so would this be what I would need to order -

http://store.nodalninja.com/ProductD...oductCode=QRP2

Thanks for any advice - Gary

2. Re: Will Nodal Ninja 3 + MKII work with Canon Mark II and 24-105

Hi Gary,

You've got mail!

About the QRP2, it is NOT compatible with your Kirk ballhead, as its profile doesn't fit Arca style specifications.

Mauro

Mauro Contrafatto
    Customer Service Manager
    cs@nodalninja.com
  3. Re: Will Nodal Ninja 3 + MKII work with Canon Mark II and 24-105

Hi Gary,

Regarding your first question, both lenses are their sharpest when the aperature is closed down to f8. When it comes to stitched panoramics the most important factor in lens sharpness is how sharp the corners are. This is especially relevant when it comes to a full-frame camera like your 5d mkII, which uses all of the lens's edge glass.

That being said, the 50mm f1.8 scores better marks for edge-to-edge sharpness at f8, although you're really 'splitting hairs' here - both lenses perform magnificently, and stitched panoramas are so darn big with so much detail, I'd doubt you'd see much of a difference. Also, if you want to use a 5dmkII and large lenses, I'd go with a NN5 instead of a NN3 - It'll handle the heavy gear better.

So, if you have the money for the 50mm 1.8 prime (it's cheap, after all), go ahead and get it. Otherwise, the 24-105 will work nearly as well @50mm. According to the great folks at www.slrgear.com, this zoom lens appears to have the best edge-to-edge sharpness at the 35mm setting.

Check it out here:
    http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zprod...ff/tloader.htm

Hope this helps,
    -Nick
  4. Re: Will Nodal Ninja 3 + MKII work with Canon Mark II and 24-105

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gstepic View Post
    I would like to start doing some panorama work and right now I would like to use my 24-105 Canon lens with the Canon 5D Mark II. I did get a response stating some lenses may be too big from customer service but the dimensions and weight were metric, so I am not sure if the 24-105 would be too large for the Nodal Ninja 3 Mark II and the 5D Mark II camera body.

Two other questions and actually one is just asking for an opinion. I could get the Canon 50mm 1.8 and my understanding this lens will be sharp when shooting stopped down. I wonder if I would notice any difference in sharpness using my 24-105 at 40 to 50mm or the 50mm 1.8 if shooting stopped down. I had considered buying the Really Right Stuff Pano kit and the price would be about $600 which would include a needed L bracket for my 5D (I plan on shooting in the vertical mode most often). So even if I bought the 50mm 1.8 my total outlay getting the Nodal Ninja set up would be a few hundred less.

This probably is going to seem like a dumb question but I want to know just what I need to use the NN on a Kirk ballhead. I understand it is simply an arca camera plate so would this be what I would need to order -

http://store.nodalninja.com/ProductD...oductCode=QRP2

Thanks for any advice - Gary

Get NN5L for 5D + 24-105mm. It is on sale.
    You can mount our Arca Swiss compatible plate on NN5L for connecting to Kirk ballhead.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/asqrp-1.htm

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread