15mm L adapter...

Thread: 15mm L adapter...

Share/Bookmark
  1. 15mm L adapter...

Yes, I know you don't make one. But I could use something like that.

You guys are very good engineers and I bet you could come up with an L adapter that could be turned over to fit tripod offsets on either side of the lens.

I have a 20mm T adapter and I only use one side :-)

ALSO -- and this is the point of this missive -- the T adapter is just long enough to prevent me from opening the battery/ card door on my camera so I have to take the T adapter off each time I want to take the card out or change the batteries. So then I have to check the alignment each time. Kind of a pain...

I was thinking about sawing the end off the 20mm T adapter just so I could open the battery door. I'm a little reluctant to do that since I don't know if the T adapter would survive the process as a still usable part.

DD
  2. Re: 15mm L adapter...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Yes, I know you don't make one. But I could use something like that.

You guys are very good engineers and I bet you could come up with an L adapter that could be turned over to fit tripod offsets on either side of the lens.

I have a 20mm T adapter and I only use one side :-)

ALSO -- and this is the point of this missive -- the T adapter is just long enough to prevent me from opening the battery/ card door on my camera so I have to take the T adapter off each time I want to take the card out or change the batteries. So then I have to check the alignment each time. Kind of a pain...

I was thinking about sawing the end off the 20mm T adapter just so I could open the battery door. I'm a little reluctant to do that since I don't know if the T adapter would survive the process as a still usable part.

DD
    the new QR system is developped to replace the T-adapter.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/qrs2.htm
    It supports tripod off-set up to 40mm.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: 15mm L adapter...

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    the new QR system is developped to replace the T-adapter.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/qrs2.htm
    It supports tripod off-set up to 40mm.
    Nick
    Yes, your QR system looks better than most -- but I would still have to take the QR plate off my camera to open the battery/card door. That's the point I was trying to make -- unsuccessfully I guess. It's a Fuji e900. Nice camera. Easy to lug on my walk abouts...
  4. Re: 15mm L adapter...

Users Country Flag

you can mount a mini QR system on the T-adapter. Velbon has a nice one.

Nick

Fanotec
  5. Re: 15mm L adapter...

you can mount a mini QR system on the T-adapter. Velbon has a nice one.

Nick
    Yes, their QR system is nice. But for small cameras, there simply is no practical QR system that is scaled down to fit. Small digital cameras have been around for over a decade now and we are still trying to fit 35mm standards to them. Just doesn't work.

My camera weighs 9.2 oz. The tripod mount is offset 11mm. I need a QR system with a 2cm plate. Or a smaller T or L adapter as I described. Nobody makes that kind of stuff. The camera industry has a wet darkroom hangover that it just can't seem to get rid of.
  6. Re: 15mm L adapter...

Yes, their QR system is nice. But for small cameras, there simply is no practical QR system that is scaled down to fit. Small digital cameras have been around for over a decade now and we are still trying to fit 35mm standards to them. Just doesn't work.

My camera weighs 9.2 oz. The tripod mount is offset 11mm. I need a QR system with a 2cm plate. Or a smaller T or L adapter as I described. Nobody makes that kind of stuff. The camera industry has a wet darkroom hangover that it just can't seem to get rid of.
    Like I said --

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...mcg1/page6.asp

The G1 has a metal tripod mount, which should reduce concerns about stripping its thread. It's perfectly lined up with the lens but the camera is so small that you can give up on the idea of changing batteries with most tripod plates attached.

There is a business opportunity in realistically sized accessories for the upcoming fleet of realistically sized cameras.....
  7. Re: 15mm L adapter...

Users Country Flag

the majority of compact DC users do not use any tripod, not to speak of QR system. You see many compact DCs has tripod socket in very odd location. some of them use plastic tripod socket.
    how about this mini QR?
    http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/...acturers_id=31
    Specifications:
    Camera platform (approx) W31xL22 mm
    Size W62 x L38 X H15 mm
    Weight (approx) 54g

Nick

Fanotec
  8. Re: 15mm L adapter...

the majority of compact DC users do not use any tripod, not to speak of QR system. You see many compact DCs has tripod socket in very odd location. some of them use plastic tripod socket.
    how about this mini QR?
    http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/...acturers_id=31
    Specifications:
    Size W62 x L38 X H15 mm
    Weight (approx) 54g

Nick
    The majority of photographers don't make panoramas either but you found a niche making panoramic tripod heads.
    That "most" compact camera users don't use a tripod is irrelevant in my view. That's historical information. What about
    the future? There is absolutely no need to carry those big honken DLSR's. There is so much silicon in "full size" sensors that
    you could put all the camera's control system and the sensor on it.

That "micro" QR plate is rated for 1.5kg -- that's 3.3 lbs. Small DSLR's weigh around a pound. The Canon G10 weighs 13.8 oz. and
    from what I see, it's plenty good enough for web publishing of panoramas. You have the crop of dinosaur DLSR's covered. Who
    are going to be the goto people for the next generation of panoramic tripod heads?

But, I won't say anymore on this issue. All I can do is give you my thoughts out of good will....

DD
  9. Re: 15mm L adapter...

Users Country Flag

That "micro" QR plate is rated for 1.5kg -- that's 3.3 lbs. Small DSLR's weigh around a pound. The Canon G10 weighs 13.8 oz. and
    from what I see, it's plenty good enough for web publishing of panoramas. You have the crop of dinosaur DLSR's covered. Who
    are going to be the goto people for the next generation of panoramic tripod heads?

But, I won't say anymore on this issue. All I can do is give you my thoughts out of good will....

DD
    DD,

Does the velbon plate fit you?
    that means the screw is 15.5mm from either side. It seems what you want.
    BTW, we DO have plan to make some new QR that fits the compacts. But as you said, that is the future. We have our hands full. :-)

Nick

Fanotec
  10. Re: 15mm L adapter...

DD,

Does the velbon plate fit you?
    that means the screw is 15.5mm from either side. It seems what you want.
    BTW, we DO have plan to make some new QR that fits the compacts. But as you said, that is the future. We have our hands full. :-)

Nick
    The Velbon QR plate -- or any existing QR plate -- offers the same problem. Too big. Can't open battery door (it's on the bottom) if there is any plate including your T-adapters.

Any QR plate would have to be no more than 2cm wide and I would need between a 7 and 11 mm offset capability. Not an easy thing to make.

You guys are brilliant engineers. I know you can find a solution...