Click stops for NN3 upper rail rotator

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Click stops for NN3 upper rail rotator

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Click stops for NN3 upper rail rotator

Hi all,

I don't currently have a Nodal Ninja (using a Panosaurus at the moment), but plan to get one very soon as it looks to be just about the best bit of kit on the market. I'm looking at getting the NN3 probably with the R-D16 rotator.

Having looked at the Nodal Ninja website and read various reviews I saw that the NN5 has click stops on the upper rail rotator and my question (I guess aimed at the talented Mr Nick Fan ) is: are there any plans to introduce this excellent idea on the NN3? For reproducibility and applying templates this would seem to be a real bonus.

Thanks in advance for you replies.
  2. Re: Click stops for NN3 upper rail rotator

Hi Ginger Snapper,
    Welcome to the forum.
    The RD16, because of the super fine click stop intervals, is better suited for those using longer focal length lenses which better fit the NN5.
    The NN5 doesn't have click stops on the upper rotator - it uses a unique positive locking system that allows for locking the upper arm in place at 15 degree intervals. This is a common interval when shooting multi row panoramas and because of the positive lock (like a dead bolt) it will support up to 10kgs (22 lbs) of weight.
    That said there are those that still like the configuration you requested and we should have the NN3 w/RD16 available in a couple of weeks on the website. Check with your local reseller - some may stock these earlier than us.
    thx
    Bill
  3. Re: Click stops for NN3 upper rail rotator

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Snapper View Post
    Hi all,

I don't currently have a Nodal Ninja (using a Panosaurus at the moment), but plan to get one very soon as it looks to be just about the best bit of kit on the market. I'm looking at getting the NN3 probably with the R-D16 rotator.

Having looked at the Nodal Ninja website and read various reviews I saw that the NN5 has click stops on the upper rail rotator and my question (I guess aimed at the talented Mr Nick Fan ) is: are there any plans to introduce this excellent idea on the NN3? For reproducibility and applying templates this would seem to be a real bonus.

Thanks in advance for you replies.
    Sorry, there is not plan to incorporate this feature in NN3. NN3 is our entry model. We need to keep the cost down.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: Click stops for NN3 upper rail rotator

Nick:

I understand your logic in not wanting to pimp out the NN3 because of its entry level status. I also see some problems if a click style rotator was designed as a retrofit, mainly because many of us have only a small amount of real estate left on the lower arm and a click type rotator would move the camera too far to the center. That said, I look at my NN3 & DL8 rotator as the perfect combination of function and small size. As you offer upgrades and better functionality I naturally lust after them, but alas, the click stop upper arm will not be mine! ( If you could work around the above mentioned space problem I bet you would sell quite a few, as there are many NN3 owners out there ). Thanks for a great product and great service!
+ Reply to Thread