D700 + nikon 16mm/f2,8 : Nodal Point on NN5... seeing the edge of the upper rail

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: D700 + nikon 16mm/f2,8 : Nodal Point on NN5... seeing the edge of the upper rail

Share/Bookmark
  1. D700 + nikon 16mm/f2,8 : Nodal Point on NN5... seeing the edge of the upper rail

Hello,

Does anybody has this equipment combination ? I've got it setup with the Quick Release Clamp and Camera Plate.

Readings are 76mm lower rail and 79 upper rail.
    I get perfect alignment both vertically and horizontally.
    Trouble is, if i tilt the lens down -15degree, i can see in the lower corner of the lens the edge of the upper rail.

Any comments, observations and opinions welcome.

http://www.nodalninja.com/arca_style...ase_clamp.html
  2. Re: D700 + nikon 16mm/f2,8 : Nodal Point on NN5... seeing the edge of the upper rail

Never tried that combo bt I'm presuming thats correct. However are you not able to remove this portion in your stitching software? For example Autodesk Stitcher will automatically remove this n the Smartblend render.

Badders
  3. Re: D700 + nikon 16mm/f2,8 : Nodal Point on NN5... seeing the edge of the upper rail

Users Country Flag

This is normal.
    Ptgui will remove it automatically.

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: D700 + nikon 16mm/f2,8 : Nodal Point on NN5... seeing the edge of the upper rail

It is very common for parts of the pano head and tripod to intrude into the view of the camera in some positions. Tilt the camera down by 90 degrees for the nadir and you see rather a lot of hardware. Strictly speaking, PTGui will not automatically take any steps to remove these unwanted parts of the images. They may well get lost in the blending by virtue of the routing of the seams. However, sometimes the unwanted black areas actually get blended in and cause dark smudges. The solution then is to apply alpha channel masks to the input images to mask out the unwanted areas, which PTGui will then ignore. For details on creating alpha channel masks in Photoshop, see http://www.johnhpanos.com/alphatut.htm

John
  5. Re: D700 + nikon 16mm/f2,8 : Nodal Point on NN5... seeing the edge of the upper

Hmm Alpha channels. I will have to give this a go when I get the chance.

6. Re: D700 + nikon 16mm/f2,8 : Nodal Point on NN5... seeing the edge of the upper rail

Check out Autodesk Stitcher 2009. It will remove this automatically. No alpha channels required.

Badders
  7. Re: D700 + nikon 16mm/f2,8 : Nodal Point on NN5... seeing the edge of the upper

I have a D700 with a 16mm Nikon fisheye and NN5 with quick release on its way. Nice to see the A and B settings although I'll verify them specific to my lens/body. Those of you with that same setup, do you find that a 60 degree rotation gives enough overlap for 360 degree virtual tours? I'm just starting out with panos so please pardon my ignorance.

8. Re: D700 + nikon 16mm/f2,8 : Nodal Point on NN5... seeing the edge of the upper

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ptortora View Post
    I have a D700 with a 16mm Nikon fisheye and NN5 with quick release on its way. Nice to see the A and B settings although I'll verify them specific to my lens/body. Those of you with that same setup, do you find that a 60 degree rotation gives enough overlap for 360 degree virtual tours? I'm just starting out with panos so please pardon my ignorance.

for 16mm fisheye on D700, take 6 shots around, zenith and nadir shots.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread