NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Hi,

I just did buy this sigma fisheye:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0711/07...igma45fish.asp

I have a Canon Rebel XTi (10Mp Half Frame).

I wonder if I should use NN3 o NN5 and why.

Sorry for this newbie question but I prefer to be sure before buy.

I'm evaluation this kit at amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nodal-Spherica...1784951&sr=8-2

Seems good for $240 but I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Any answer will be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes!

Milevan
  2. Re: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Hi Milevan,
    Welcome to the forum.
    NN3 MKII will work fine for you. Some bigger lenses might be limited in not being able to do full rotation up but there are work arounds to this.
    The amazon.com listing is $10 more than the price in our e-store because they undercut actual shipping charges. Both amazon.com and e-store work out to about the same after all is said and done. We also have some demo unit packages up on eBay at the moment for $209.95 with free shipping - best deal yet.
    NN5L is a good choice if you use longer lenses or optional camera batter grip.
    Keep us posted on how you go or if you have any other questions.
    Thank you
    Bill
  3. Re: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Hi Bill,

I saw this post when I was just about to order the NN180. My situation is almost the same as Milevan's except the camera is an XSi. Would the NN180 be the head to use instead of NN3? The Sigma 4.5mm has 180-degree FOV and I'm concerned the NN3's vertical rail and knob would show up on the side of the circular image. It'd be great if NN3 would work since I would also like to use the stock 18mm lens for single and multi row panos in portrait mode.

Daswohl
  4. Re: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Quote Originally Posted by daswohl View Post
    Hi Bill,
    I saw this post when I was just about to order the NN180. My situation is almost the same as Milevan's except the camera is an XSi. Would the NN180 be the head to use instead of NN3? The Sigma 4.5mm has 180-degree FOV and I'm concerned the NN3's vertical rail and knob would show up on the side of the circular image. It'd be great if NN3 would work since I would also like to use the stock 18mm lens for single and multi row panos in portrait mode.
    Daswohl
    Hi Daswohl - welcome to the forum.
    while the 4.5mm may have a 180 degree FOV because you are using the XTi the crop factor of 1.6 turns your 4.5mm lens into a 7.2mm focal length. NN3 is your best choice as you can tilt to shoot the up shot and same for down shot. Giving yourself good overlap between images by shooting 4 around (I think 3 around, while may be doable, could be a stretch) would ensure sufficient overlap to hide any rotators that "might" creep into the viewfinder.
    hope this helps.
    Bill
  5. Re: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

I will do a small research for the NN5 to decide this same day so I can get the auction at ebay.

Regards!

Milevan
  6. Re: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    while the 4.5mm may have a 180 degree FOV because you are using the XTi the crop factor of 1.6 turns your 4.5mm lens into a 7.2mm focal length.
    Bill, You imply that the image circle will be cropped on the XTi. I haven't seen any sample 4.5mm images from Canon cameras, but the Nikon samples suggest that the image circle is about 12.6mm diameter. The XTi sensor is 22.2x14.8mm, so the whole of the 180 degree image circle should be captured, as I'm sure was intended by the designers of the lens.

John
  7. Re: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    Bill, You imply that the image circle will be cropped on the XTi. I haven't seen any sample 4.5mm images from Canon cameras, but the Nikon samples suggest that the image circle is about 12.6mm diameter. The XTi sensor is 22.2x14.8mm, so the whole of the 180 degree image circle should be captured, as I'm sure was intended by the designers of the lens.

John
    Hi John,

yes, it is circular. Indeed its image circle is a bit too small. I think it is designed to fit the sigma 1.7x sensor.
    I have one sigma 4.5mm. a preliminary test shows its fov is about 182 deg in ptgui.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  8. Re: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Oops!

Bill I was ready to buy one of your demo packages for the NN3 at ebay.

I did see you offered more than 10 units.

Today I don't see any :'(

Please let me know if they really want out so quickly or if you closed the auction.

Let me know please.

Regards!

Milevan
  9. Re: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MILEVAN View Post
    Oops!

Bill I was ready to buy one of your demo packages for the NN3 at ebay.

I did see you offered more than 10 units.

Today I don't see any :'(

Please let me know if they really want out so quickly or if you closed the auction.

Let me know please.

Regards!

Milevan
    I think they are sold. check the completed listings.
    US $209.95 with free shipping is a good bargain.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  10. Re: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Bill,

let me know if you are planning to sell more of this packages or if not to find my best option.

regards!

Milevan
  11. Re: NN3 + Canon Rebel XTi + Sigma 4.5mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Hi Daswohl - welcome to the forum.
    while the 4.5mm may have a 180 degree FOV because you are using the XTi the crop factor of 1.6 turns your 4.5mm lens into a 7.2mm focal length. NN3 is your best choice as you can tilt to shoot the up shot and same for down shot. Giving yourself good overlap between images by shooting 4 around (I think 3 around, while may be doable, could be a stretch) would ensure sufficient overlap to hide any rotators that "might" creep into the viewfinder.
    hope this helps.
    Bill
    I don't have a Canon body here but I do have stock of the Sigma 4.5mm Canon fit and I'm sure it's a full circle on a 1.6 sensor Canon Camera. So I'd suggest that the best rotator is in fact the NN180 and not the NN3 because there's no occlusion of the right edge of the circle from the upper arm of the NN3 unit. However It's possible to deal with this in post processing through stitching software. So what I'm saying is both can be used, but the NN180 had the benefit of being optimally designed for full circle fisheyes. (I am prepared to be corrected by anyone who's got a 1.6 Canon and the NN3/Sigma 4.5!)

Badders
+ Reply to Thread