Advice for NN purchase

Thread: Advice for NN purchase

Share/Bookmark
  1. Advice for NN purchase

Good day folks! It's almost time for me to purchase my NN setup, so I want to figure out what the best kit is for me. Here's the lowdown:

Usage:
    For my work, I'll be doing 360 panos for "virtual tours", plus some wide landscape panos. Personally, I'd like to be able to experiment with as many different types as I can with one setup, so I can get better at it.

Camera will be:
    Nikon D300 or D80 or in case of alien attack or some natural disaster rendering those 2 useless, I'll dust off the D70s (it'll be the D300 99.9% of the time though).

Lenses will be:
    12-24mm f/4
    50mm f/1.8
    24-70mm f/2.8
    70-200mm VR f/2.8

I have a pretty standard carbon fibre tripod as well. Not the sturdiest thing in the world, but it works.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to getting started!

Blair
  2. Re: Advice for NN purchase

Hi Blair,

With that hardware specs you'll need the NN5 unit with whatever rotator base you want to use.

Badders
  3. Re: Advice for NN purchase

Hi Blair,

I agree with Andrew. (Welcome aboard )

NN5 is the right choice, and the brand new R-D16 rotator can be a must if you plan to exchange lenses often!

Cheers,
    Mauro

Mauro Contrafatto
    Customer Service Manager
    cs@nodalninja.com
  4. Re: Advice for NN purchase

Phew! Got my first posting right!

Badders
  5. Re: Advice for NN purchase

Thanks to both of you!

Next question... the NN web site (at least when I was on last week) hasn't listed the RD16 yet. Is the NN5 kit that comes with the RD12 still shipping with the RD12 or does it get upgraded with the new rotator? Is there a release date for the RD16? If it's not too far in the future I can hold off purchasing, but if it's a few months off I'll probably just pick up the kit with the RD12.

Blair
  6. Re: Advice for NN purchase

Quote Originally Posted by johnny236 View Post
    Thanks to both of you!
    Next question... the NN web site (at least when I was on last week) hasn't listed the RD16 yet. Is the NN5 kit that comes with the RD12 still shipping with the RD12 or does it get upgraded with the new rotator? Is there a release date for the RD16? If it's not too far in the future I can hold off purchasing, but if it's a few months off I'll probably just pick up the kit with the RD12.
    Blair
    Hi Blair - welcome to the forum.
    The RD12's are disappearing and as I write I believe we only have a couple left. We do have the RD16's in stock (just came in today) and working on getting some product shots done up so we can have up for sale on the website by tomorrow. Pressure is on now for me to get these up
    thx
    Bill
  7. Re: Advice for NN purchase

Well done Bill! I saw the updated product listing this morning, and ordered immediately!

Cheers!

Blair
  8. Re: Advice for NN purchase

Once you get it - let us know your thoughts
    Thank you for your order
    Bill
  9. Re: Advice for NN purchase

Recieved my unit about 5 minutes ago (after ordering it about 27 hours ago!!!)... I haven't even taken the parts out of their plastic and I'm already thrilled, just based on the customer service.

I'll post early impressions when I can, although this is my first pano-head unit experience so all I can compare it to is trying to do the same thing with my ball-head.

I'll also post some of my non-government work once I figure out how to use the thing

Cheers!
  10. Re: Advice for NN purchase

Quote Originally Posted by johnny236 View Post
    Recieved my unit about 5 minutes ago (after ordering it about 27 hours ago!!!)... I haven't even taken the parts out of their plastic and I'm already thrilled, just based on the customer service.
    I'll post early impressions when I can, although this is my first pano-head unit experience so all I can compare it to is trying to do the same thing with my ball-head.
    I'll also post some of my non-government work once I figure out how to use the thing
    Cheers!
    First impressions are always good.
    The nice finish, smooth and very fluid rotation, a solidly built unit with very high precision.
    And while product is one thing - support in everything