Which Nodal Ninja is best for me?

Thread: Which Nodal Ninja is best for me?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Which Nodal Ninja is best for me?

I plan to do produce spherical panoramas tours (mostly indoors) and outdoor 360's. I have a Canon EOS 40D with a 10-22mm lens and/or a EOS 5D MKII and will use a 24-105 or 24-70 f2.8 L lenses with that camera. I would like a complete kit that would work with either configuration, if possible.
    Thanks very much for any advice you can offer.
  2. Re: Which Nodal Ninja is best for me?

Hi Bob,
    Welcome to the forum.
    The NN5 is your best choice. The standard rotator with interchangeable detent rings will work fine, and the NN5L pkg is currently on sale, but because of the variable focal lengths you'll be shooting you might find the new advanced rotators worth consideration. The RD8 on the NN5 is a bit limiting as the finest detent increment is 18 degrees. The upcoming RD16 (next couple weeks) would be worthy contender as it will offer detent increments all the way down to 3.75 degrees.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Bill
  3. Re: Which Nodal Ninja is best for me?

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for the quick response and advice. The NN5 with RD16 looks good. I'll look for it in the upcoming weeks.
    Thanks again.
    BobG
  4. Re: Which Nodal Ninja is best for me?

What would be the circumstances that you'd need an RD12 vs the RD8?
  5. Re: Which Nodal Ninja is best for me?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post
    What would be the circumstances that you'd need an RD12 vs the RD8?

The finest interval in R-D8 is 20 deg. It is good for 50mm (eq.) lens. if you need to use longer focal length, you need R-D12 or the new R-D16. However, NN3 is not so suitable for long focal length lens on DSLRs. R-D12/16 is for NN5 mainly.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.