Detent ring scoring

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Detent ring scoring

Share/Bookmark
  1. Detent ring scoring

I ordered and recieved a Nodal Ninja 3 Mk II (in the UK) after Christmas. It was ordered on Dec 29 and arrived next day!!!

After I tried out my NN3 I noticed that the rotator had a gold coloured powder (brass) looked at the detent ring I used and noticed that there it was scored with a shallow groove.

My question is; is this normal? Did I over-tighten the rotator (I tightened it so the there was no wobble), how tight should it be, or is there a problem with the detent plunger adjustment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Mark
  2. Re: Detent ring scoring

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by scorcher00 View Post
    I ordered and recieved a Nodal Ninja 3 Mk II (in the UK) after Christmas. It was ordered on Dec 29 and arrived next day!!!

After I tried out my NN3 I noticed that the rotator had a gold coloured powder (brass) looked at the detent ring I used and noticed that there it was scored with a shallow groove.

My question is; is this normal? Did I over-tighten the rotator (I tightened it so the there was no wobble), how tight should it be, or is there a problem with the detent plunger adjustment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Mark
    yes, this is normal. The brass dust acts as lubricant. Wearing will slow down after using it for a few times.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Detent ring scoring

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by scorcher00 View Post
    Did I over-tighten the rotator (I tightened it so the there was no wobble), how tight should it be, or is there a problem with the detent plunger adjustment?

Mark
    It would be difficult to over tighten the rotator... as you tighten the knob the two halves are clamped more and more firmly together, finally arrivig at a situation when the friction is so great you will not be able to rotate it at all.

This does not change the pressure from the detent ball as it is spring loaded.

There may eventually come a time when the detent plunger needs adjustment, how to do it can be found here....( most definitely this must not be over tightened or damage could ensue.)
    http://nodalninja.com/NN3_MKII_Deten...Adjustment.pdf
  4. Re: Detent ring scoring

Hi Mark,
    Welcome to the forum.
    It is important to note as well that these units are hand assembled at the plant. Once assembled they are tested for proper operation. Many times units are double checked and even triple checked to assure all is as designed. During the course of checking these items will show some signs of dust with minor brass ring scoring. Like Nick said this is actually beneficial as the dust acts as a lubricant. It's like buying a new car - they never have 0 kilometers when you go to drive it off the lot.
    Cheers
    Bill
  5. Re: Detent ring scoring

Thanks for your quick replies. I am now very much reassured that my NN3 is performing normally.

Can I just say just how well designed and constructed the NN3 is, it is much sturdier than I expected it to be.

Count me as a very satisfied NN3 customer. I now just want a Quick Release clamp and hope that the UK reseller will stock these soon after Jan 7th.
+ Reply to Thread