Olympus E-510, 12-60mm Zuiko Lens

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Olympus E-510, 12-60mm Zuiko Lens

Share/Bookmark
  1. Olympus E-510, 12-60mm Zuiko Lens

Just received my NN3MKII. I have an Olympus e-510 with 12-60mm lens on it. I was able to do the set up effectively with my Manfrotto 323 Quick release plates attached directly to the lower and upper rails. I'm now able to snap the rails onto my tripod and the camera onto the rails with quick releases.

The only problem I'm having is vertical rotation. The camera runs into the lower rail with only 30 degrees rotation upward (toward zenith). Has anyone used this camera and lens combo with the NN3?
  2. Re: Olympus E-510, 12-60mm Zuiko Lens

Users Country Flag

Is the camera grip pointing up or down when mounted on NN3?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Olympus E-510, 12-60mm Zuiko Lens

I can have it either way by reversing the plate on the bottom of the camera. However, neither will alllow much rotation vertically, before the camera hits the knob on the lower rail (it's better with the grip on top). Changing to a smaller lens such as the 14-42 kit lens would solve the problem, but I would prefer to use the 12-60mm which is a much better lens. The problem with the 12-60mm is that it is a much larger lens and requires the camera to be very far back on the upper arm.
  4. Re: Olympus E-510, 12-60mm Zuiko Lens

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Psychobabble View Post
    I can have it either way by reversing the plate on the bottom of the camera. However, neither will alllow much rotation vertically, before the camera hits the knob on the lower rail (it's better with the grip on top). Changing to a smaller lens such as the 14-42 kit lens would solve the problem, but I would prefer to use the 12-60mm which is a much better lens. The problem with the 12-60mm is that it is a much larger lens and requires the camera to be very far back on the upper arm.
    You can work out the max rotation without the lower rotator knob. If it works for your lens, then you should consider upgrade the rotator to R-D8. Contact your dealer to see how it can be done.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: Olympus E-510, 12-60mm Zuiko Lens

Can you explain how to do the rotation without the rotator knob?
  6. Re: Olympus E-510, 12-60mm Zuiko Lens

Just mount your camera and lens on the NN3 in the correct no parallax settings.

Unscrew the lower rotator knob and remove all the lower rotator assembly.

Untight the upper rotator knob and rotate the bracket untill the camera body don't clash with the lower rail. If the +90¬? pitch position can be achieved without the lower rotator assembly, then you can do it also when the R-D8 (or another advanced rotator) is used.

This is because our advanced rotator are connected to the pano head through an M6 screw with flat head and you will have an additional clearance for the full rotation up equal to the tickness of the original lower rotator knob.

Hope it helps!

Mauro

Mauro Contrafatto
    Customer Service Manager
    cs@nodalninja.com
+ Reply to Thread