D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

Share/Bookmark
  1. D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

I have just acquired this (large, heavy,expensive) lens. Does anyone else have experience of using it on the D700 with an NN5? At present I have an NN3 which I use with my 10.5 FE + DX body. So it looks like an upgrade to the head is required.
    An comments appreciated.
    Roy_
  2. Re: D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roy_ View Post
    I have just acquired this (large, heavy,expensive) lens. Does anyone else have experience of using it on the D700 with an NN5? At present I have an NN3 which I use with my 10.5 FE + DX body. So it looks like an upgrade to the head is required.
    An comments appreciated.
    Roy_
    I think Bill has the combo. He will jump in to share the experience.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

Hi Roy,
    Yea - I have the D700 w/14-24 2.8. Unfortunately you would need to shoot to rows for full 360-x180 - one with 30 degree tilt up and another with 30 tilt down. That said the NN5 works perfectly with it.
    I also have the 10.5 and when shooting in DX mode this lens still produces excellent results especially for publishing to the web.
    You could use the D700 w/10.5 on NN3 (without battery pack) but since you have the 14-24 (which won''t work with NN3) you should opt for the NN5. We offer a trade-in program on the NN3 if you like: http://nodalninja.com/trade_in.html
    or you could just keep it in your bag as a secondary backup.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Bill
  4. Re: D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

I'd assumed that the focal length being effectively the same as the 10.5FE on a DX body (which I still have) it'd be possible to shoot 6 round plus Z&N(s). But if you have this combination you've obviously tried it - it's not a problem to shoot rows for a controlled environment. What are the exact number of shots for a full 360X180?
  5. Re: D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

I'd assumed that the focal length being effectively the same as the 10.5FE on a DX body (which I still have) it'd be possible to shoot 6 round plus Z&N(s).
    They may have comparable focal lengths, but one is a fisheye and the other one is a rectilinear lens. Their fov's are quite different.

What are the exact number of shots for a full 360X180?
    See www.vrwave.com

John
  6. Re: D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

Thanks John. I assume that the prime lens listed here has the same characteristics as the wide end of the zoom ie Full frame=14mm, HFOV: 104¬? | VFOV: 81¬? . Min. shots (full frame): N, 6 images every 60¬? at -30¬? pitch, 6 images every 60¬? at +30¬? pitch, Z. Which seems to imply that the nadir isn't expected to be patched. In which case I suppose the question is whether a single viewpoint correction shot is adequate to cover the nadir without tripod-mounted nadir shots? - if indeed a patched nadir is required.

I don't know whether I'm likely to use this lens for VRs although if it's practicable it would be an interesting alternative to the (not yet shaved) 10.5. I'd certainly like to be able to offer the option as some of the panos are going to be viewed directly off a PC on a large screen rather than via the web so I would like them to look as good as possible. The 14-24 is primarily intended for static shots of interiors. I suppose if I use the shaved 10.5 on the D700 in FF mode I might just get away with the NN3.
    Roy
  7. Re: D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

Users Country Flag

Thanks John. I assume that the prime lens listed here has the same characteristics as the wide end of the zoom ie Full frame=14mm, HFOV: 104¬? | VFOV: 81¬? . Min. shots (full frame): N, 6 images every 60¬? at -30¬? pitch, 6 images every 60¬? at +30¬? pitch, Z. Which seems to imply that the nadir isn't expected to be patched. In which case I suppose the question is whether a single viewpoint correction shot is adequate to cover the nadir without tripod-mounted nadir shots? - if indeed a patched nadir is required.
    The list in vrwave corresponds to fov at widest zoom setting. So zoom and prime are the same provided they have same fov. fov is governed by lens type (rectilinear/fiheye) and the crop factor of sensor.
    N means nadir and Z means zenith. at -30 deg pitch, the nadir hole is about 16 deg only. It is about the size of the rotator.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  8. Re: D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

Group,
    another question re the Nikon 14-24 on a D700. even with the NN 5 I'm having trouble getting this body/ lens combination to stay in position. No matter how firmly I tighten the attachment screw the lens sags off horizontal. I've been thinking of machining a "crutch" but that seems like a hassle. Any ideas? thanks,
    Al Sharp
  9. Re: D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

Hi Al,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I have the same setup with you and experience no sag.
    What do you use for a mounting plate? You should use the enclosed square camera plate which needs to be securely mounted to the base of your D700.
    Do you have an image you can share with us on your setup? I'm sure it's an easy fix.
    Bill
  10. Re: D700/Nikon 14-24mm 2.8

Hi guys,

I have the D3 with a 14-24 and have experienced no sag. I even did a 48 shot full 360 panorama at -30 and +30 with no problem at all. Just make sure the grooved mounting plate fitted to the bottom of the camera fits into the corressponding groove on the rail.
+ Reply to Thread