Panorama newbie

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Panorama newbie

Share/Bookmark
  1. Panorama newbie

    #1

    Hello all,
    I've been lurking here awhile and finally signed up the other day.Several years ago I picked up a Nikon Coolpix5000 and an FC/E8 which I intended to use for kite aerial photography. For various reasons I never got a rig for this set up but I recently blew the dust off my gear and would like to try my hand at ground based panoramas. I ordered an NN180 which the postman tried to deliver today but no one was home so I'll need to pick it upi at the post office tomorrow.I have a few questions:

    1. I have an inexpensive tripod. It's a Promaster 6400.Will I be able to use it with the NN180.From the pics online I can't tell as I'm not sure how it will attach.Here's a link:

    http://www.precision-camera.com/product/71275

    2. Is there a big enough difference in PTGui and PTGui Pro to justify the additional cost?

    3. With my setup will all I need to take is 3 pics at 120 degrees apart with no zenith or nadir shots necessary? Is this correct?

    Also any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Randal
  2. Re: Panorama newbie

    #2
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,366

    Quote Originally Posted by RandalG View Post
    Hello all,
    I've been lurking here awhile and finally signed up the other day.Several years ago I picked up a Nikon Coolpix5000 and an FC/E8 which I intended to use for kite aerial photography. For various reasons I never got a rig for this set up but I recently blew the dust off my gear and would like to try my hand at ground based panoramas. I ordered an NN180 which the postman tried to deliver today but no one was home so I'll need to pick it upi at the post office tomorrow.I have a few questions:

    1. I have an inexpensive tripod. It's a Promaster 6400.Will I be able to use it with the NN180.From the pics online I can't tell as I'm not sure how it will attach.Here's a link:

    http://www.precision-camera.com/product/71275

    2. Is there a big enough difference in PTGui and PTGui Pro to justify the additional cost?

    3. With my setup will all I need to take is 3 pics at 120 degrees apart with no zenith or nadir shots necessary? Is this correct?

    Also any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Randal
    For cp5000, you need a T-adapter to compensate the tripod off-set. The tripod should be fine for your set up which is quite light.


    nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Panorama newbie

    #3

    Thanks. yes I ordered the t adapter also. Am I correct in needing 3 - 120degree pics for my setup?
  4. Re: Panorama newbie

    #4
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,366

    Quote Originally Posted by RandalG View Post
    Thanks. yes I ordered the t adapter also. Am I correct in needing 3 - 120degree pics for my setup?
    yes, 3 shots for better quality and easier of stitch. PTGui is not very good at 2 shots stitch.

    Here is the NPP data I collected for CP5000

    camera---------------tripod offset-------------NPP from tripod socket
    Nikon cp5000--------------27-------------------47mm (full wide?)
    Nikon cp5000--------------27-------------------67mm (wc-e68 + UR-E5)
    Nikon cp5000--------------27-------------------98mm (fc-e8 + UR-E6) FE mode1
    Nikon cp5000--------------27-------------------94mm (fc-e8 + UR-E6) FE mode2



    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: Panorama newbie

    #5

    Forgive me but I have no idea what those numbers mean and I didn't get any directions with my NN180.Can you direct me to something online perhaps?
  6. Re: Panorama newbie

    #6
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,366

    tripod offset 27mm is the distance in T-30 adapter. You need T-30. If you get T-20, let me know. I will send you a T-30.
    the other number is the number on the rail. if you use a T-adapter, you need to minus/ plus 30mm depending on the orientation of T-adapter.



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  7. Re: Panorama newbie

    #7

    Thanks. What is FE Mode 1 and FE Mode 2 mean?
  8. Re: Panorama newbie

    #8
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,366

    Quote Originally Posted by RandalG View Post
    Thanks. What is FE Mode 1 and FE Mode 2 mean?
    In coolpix released a few years ago, there are lens options in the menu. There are 2 fisheye modes. one for circular fisheye (mode 1) in which you will see a dark circle at the outside of image. The other is full frame fisheye (mode 2) in which you don't see any dark corner in the image. Mode 2 is done by zooming in the lens. To make spherical pano using NN180, you use FE mode 1.


    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  9. Re: Panorama newbie

    #9

    Thanks again.Hopefully this is the last dumb question.I think I have the offset figured out. But in your third example I'm not sure which marking to use on the 98mm setting. Heck I'm not even sure I have it mounted to the NN180 correctly. The T-30 has two mounting holes on the bottom. I'm not sure which one to use. Also am I supposed to line up the white line on what I think is the bottom of the vertical support arm with the circle with the line through it on the T-30? Here's how I tentatively put it together. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong as I think the lens is mounted behind the nodal point the way I have it.

    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...ture033xx2.jpg
  10. Re: Panorama newbie

    #10
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,366

    Quote Originally Posted by RandalG View Post
    Thanks again.Hopefully this is the last dumb question.I think I have the offset figured out. But in your third example I'm not sure which marking to use on the 98mm setting. Heck I'm not even sure I have it mounted to the NN180 correctly. The T-30 has two mounting holes on the bottom. I'm not sure which one to use. Also am I supposed to line up the white line on what I think is the bottom of the vertical support arm with the circle with the line through it on the T-30? Here's how I tentatively put it together. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong as I think the lens is mounted behind the nodal point the way I have it.

    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...ture033xx2.jpg
    Can you mount the camera to 68mm position using T-adapter without the camera mounting plate? T-adapter has offset of 30mm between the alignment mark and tripod socket.
    In your current configuration, mount the T-adapter to the camera mounting plate through the inner socket on the T-adapter. Make sure T-adapter is lined up squarely with the camera mountain plate. Then read the mark on the camera mounting plate from the bottom, adjust it to 6.8 on the rail.
    This should be the setting for 3 shot stitch.

    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts