Rail Plate 3/8 Inch & Camera Mounting Knob

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rail Plate 3/8 Inch & Camera Mounting Knob

Share/Bookmark
  1. Rail Plate 3/8 Inch & Camera Mounting Knob

Are you using a Rail plate 3/8 Inch? Please help.

Can the standard camera mounting knob be used to mount the Rail plate 3/8 Inch or is a knob with a shorter shaft required?
    My camerma mounting knob will not screw into the brass part of the 3/8 plate. Anything more than 1 turn causes a jam requiring a pair of pliers to remove the brass part from the shaft of the camera mounting knob. I tried screwing the camera mounting knob into the shallow hole on the underside of the 3/8 rail plate, the fit was very tight and ultimately the shaft of the camera mounting knob is too long.

In conclusion there are three possibilities:
    1. The standard camera mounting knob should fit into the brass part of the 3/8 rail plate and my older mounting knob is oversized or has a slightly different thread.
    2. The standard camera mounting knob should fit into the brass part of the 3/8 rail plate and it is the brass part at fault.
    3. The standard camera mounting knob is not meant to fit the 3/8 rail plate and a shorter knob is needed.

Regards,
  2. Re: Rail Plate 3/8 Inch & Camera Mounting Knob

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
    Are you using a Rail plate 3/8 Inch? Please help.

Can the standard camera mounting knob be used to mount the Rail plate 3/8 Inch or is a knob with a shorter shaft required?
    My camerma mounting knob will not screw into the brass part of the 3/8 plate. Anything more than 1 turn causes a jam requiring a pair of pliers to remove the brass part from the shaft of the camera mounting knob. I tried screwing the camera mounting knob into the shallow hole on the underside of the 3/8 rail plate, the fit was very tight and ultimately the shaft of the camera mounting knob is too long.

In conclusion there are three possibilities:
    1. The standard camera mounting knob should fit into the brass part of the 3/8 rail plate and my older mounting knob is oversized or has a slightly different thread.
    2. The standard camera mounting knob should fit into the brass part of the 3/8 rail plate and it is the brass part at fault.
    3. The standard camera mounting knob is not meant to fit the 3/8 rail plate and a shorter knob is needed.

Regards,
    Sorry for the problem. The cause can be #1 or #2. #2 is more likely. I will check it out. When did you get your NN5? Is the knob screw silver in color?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Rail Plate 3/8 Inch & Camera Mounting Knob

Thanks Nick Fan for your reply.

My camera mounting knob is silver in colour and is part of my NN3 mk1 (the first few turns are now worn down to brass colour after winding this into the shallow and very tight hole in the 3/8 plate). So then, the standard camera knob IS supposed to fit into the brass part. I recieved the plate last week from reseller 'Redoor VR' in the United Kingdom. I have emailed them about problem but they have not replied yet due it being the weekend. I was hoping to find an answer to my simple question on the website or forum but have found nothing (hint hint). Initially i thought a shorter knob was required as supplied with the thin 1/4 inch plate but i know now this is not the case. Slightly fustrated this weeked, it's like I've got a new toy but without the batteries.

Seem like I need either a new brass part for the 3/8 camera rail plate or a new camera mounting knob.

Regards,

4. Re: Rail Plate 3/8 Inch & Camera Mounting Knob

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
    My camera mounting knob is silver in colour and is part of my NN3 mk1 (the first few turns are now worn down to brass colour after winding this into the shallow and very tight hole in the 3/8 plate). So then, the standard camera knob IS supposed to fit into the brass part.
    It seems I need to allow for more tolerance for the 1/4" socket.

Send me your address through private message of the forum. I will send you the new part.

Sorry for the problem. I know how it feels.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread