Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Happy new year!

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Happy new year!

2. Re: Happy new year!

Users Country Flag

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2009 for you too.

It is a very challenging pano with lots of things moving. What lens and camera do you use?

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Happy new year!

Nick:
    This was shot with:
    Canon 5D Mark II
    Canon 16-35mm 2.8 L at 16mm
    Nodal Ninja 5
    EZ-Leveler-II
    Gitzo tripod

One of the biggest challenges was shooting in Times Square. Like most NYC public spaces, they chase you out when you're using a tripod. So you've got to move fast. The NN5 makes all the difference. It's quick to set up and stable in rushed rotations.

I'm also processing a pano from inside Grand Central Terminal now--shot from a somewhat sheltered location...

BTW, the new Canon 5DMkII is fantastic. Better low light performance than the 5D (which was excellent) with 21.1mp.

Regards, Scott
  4. Re: Happy new year!

Users Country Flag

Maybe it is a good idea to get a shaved Tokina 10-17mm or the sigma 10mm fisheyes. You can do it in 3 shots. :-)

nick

Fanotec
  5. Re: Happy new year!

Nick, why do you recommend the Sigma 10mm over the 8mm?
  6. Re: Happy new year!

Users Country Flag

a shaved 10mm fisheye will give you more resolution than 8mm while still giving you huge angle of view. 3 shots are enough. you can take 2 shots around to capture the moving objects with the camera is in landscape orientation. Then you can take a zenith shot for the building and sky which are not moving. A Tokina 10-17mm fisheye will be a good alternative. It is the cheapest. You can use longer FL to get higher resolution. It is very popular for FF DSLRs users. If you want to get a shaved one, I may help get one.

Nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: Happy new year!

Nick: What do you think about the Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye on the Canon 5D mark II?
  8. 8mm or 10mm or 15mm lenses

Hey slerman,
    Generally speaking the longer the focal length the better the output quality of the image. Some people are able to achieve high resolution panoramas with the 8mm however because of the slightly longer focal length of the 10mm this lens is able to achieve even higher output rez. The advantage of wider angle lens is that less shots are required so people moving in and out of the frame or trees moving in the wind are less challenging to correct in post production. Capturing the art work inside church for example you gain advantage of longer focal lengths in doing more shots.
    Also if these panos are only for the web then the 8mm is a good choice (much fater workflows as well). If doing prints then a bit higher quality output would be desirable so the 10mm or even 15mm lens is better choice.
    So the compromise is really dependent on needs.
    Hope this helps
    thx
    Bill
  9. Re: Happy new year!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by slerman View Post
    Nick: What do you think about the Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye on the Canon 5D mark II?

The Canon 15mm is one of the best fisheye ever made. But you need at least 5 shots around. Not the best choice for busy street.

NIck

Fanotec
  10. Lens advice

Nick, thanks for the lens information. I tried (and returned) the Sigma 8mm. I found it too soft and low res on a FF Canon 5D Mark II for my applications. I've settled on the Canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye for general work and the 16-35mm 2.8 for really high resolution panos (at 16 or 35mm). Both lenses provide fantastic results. The NN5 makes switching easy. Scott
+ Reply to Thread