Really Right Stuff plate for bottom of NN5L?

Thread: Really Right Stuff plate for bottom of NN5L?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Really Right Stuff plate for bottom of NN5L?

I just got a NN5L. I will be mounting it on a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ball head. That is, I'll be using the ball head as a leveler. So I want to put an Arca Swiss style plate on the bottom of the rotator of the NN5L so I can quickly attach it to the ball head. It needs to br a RRS or Wimberley plate since the RRS site says that other brands don't work with their lever clamps. I would appreciate any advice on which plate to get for this purpose.

Thanks

Karl

Edit: Another possibility is to use Fanotec's Arca Swiss style plate (ASQRP1). Can anyone give me its dimensions (I can't find them on nodalninja.com) and whether it works with RRS's lever clamps?

Edit: Changed message icon to the Question Mark to make it clear that I'm asking for help/advice.
  2. Re: Really Right Stuff plate for bottom of NN5L?

Users Country Flag

it will be good to get a short lens plate from RRS or Wimberly. At the bottom of NN5 rotator there are 3/8" sockets. You can mount the plate through a 1/4"-3/8" adapter included in the package.

I am not sure about the compatibility of our ASQRP1 with RRS lever clamp. It depends on the tolerance allowed by the lever clamp. It works for most screw knob clamp though. The plate is 49mm x 49mm. but this is not the dimensions.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Really Right Stuff plate for bottom of NN5L?

I have a RRS lever clamp and a RRS camera plate. I'm really confident how safe the lever clamp hold RRS plate, I don't have other plate to test.

For your need, I can see RRS bi-directionnal plate BPnS which is only 38x38 mm with a centered socket (1/4" I guess). It's a bit small but should be 100% compatible with your ball-head with a lever-clamp. I suggest you email to RSS about your need, they will certainly reply.

--- marco-pano, France ;-)

4. Re: Really Right Stuff plate for bottom of NN5L?

Quote Originally Posted by marco-pano View Post
    I have a RRS lever clamp and a RRS camera plate. I'm really confident how safe the lever clamp hold RRS plate, I don't have other plate to test.

For your need, I can see RRS bi-directionnal plate BPnS which is only 38x38 mm with a centered socket (1/4" I guess). It's a bit small but should be 100% compatible with your ball-head with a lever-clamp. I suggest you email to RSS about your need, they will certainly reply.

Many thanks for the offer. I had failed to consider the BpNS plate. I was considering B6, B76, and B22. Each of those has a flange at the side that I would either have to file off or allow to stick out beyond the edge of the NN5L panning base. I have ordered one of
    Fanotec's plates to see if it works. If not, then I will take your suggestion and call RRS.

BPnS is small, but it that might be an advantage because it will fit completely below the panning base. If the plate extends very far beyond the edge of the panning base, it may interfere with the ability to fully grasp the pan lock knob.

In the picture, it looks like BPnS has cork or rubber on the top. Is this true? If it DOES have cork or rubber, do you think it can be removed? I would rather not have any compressible material between the plate and the NN5L.

Thanks again

Karl
  5. Re: Really Right Stuff plate for bottom of NN5L?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by karlg View Post
    In the picture, it looks like BPnS has cork or rubber on the top. Is this true? If it DOES have cork or rubber, do you think it can be removed? I would rather not have any compressible material between the plate and the NN5L.
    Cork can be quite stiff. If you tighten the screw enough, it won't cause any more vibration than your tripod legs. :-)

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.