nikon d90 + nikkor 10.5mm fisheye

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: nikon d90 + nikkor 10.5mm fisheye

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. nikon d90 + nikkor 10.5mm fisheye

hi.. new to panos and just got my pano head yesterday..

i'm shooting 10 shots to get the pano. but when i'm trying to stitch the pano i get no zenit. happends in 70% of the panos i have taken the last day..
    using autopano pro and ptgui when stitching..
    have not tried this outdoors yet. shooting inside, from about 1.5m above the floor and around 2m to the roof..

can it be my settings on the mount thats abit wrong ?
    anyone have the settings for a d90 with the 10.5mm fish ??

plz help

-Ronny M
  2. Re: nikon d90 + nikkor 10.5mm fisheye

Users Country Flag

Hi Ronny,

You need 8 pictures, 6 around, 1 up and 1 down. Alternatively, you can point the camera down by 15 deg, take 6 shots around and 1 up. You can patch the nadir hole in photoshop.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: nikon d90 + nikkor 10.5mm fisheye

the nadir is no problem.found out when using 8 pictures round and 1 up and 1 down. i dont have to clone out the whole pano head from the nadir shot, just the center of it, and then the stitcing takes the rest. but the problem is up. the stitchers wount include the zenit shot.. looks like it cant get any control points on the up shot.. therfor maybe the mount settings is abit off..
    have it mounted at 52mm on the lower rail and 86 on the upper.. maybe thats not perfect center.. or maybe the distance to the roof is to low and it cant get the right control points for stitching that..

great equipment btw..
    working on my first virtual tour atm. it's for my local R/C car club..

http://www.tbn-club.com/raceway/raceway.html

check my progress my 3 first panos ever.. ^^ have 3 more but the zenit stiching is screw'ed up there. so i guess i have to shoot them again..

4. Re: nikon d90 + nikkor 10.5mm fisheye

Quote Originally Posted by ZiD View Post
    have 3 more but the zenit stiching is screw'ed up there. so i guess i have to shoot them again.
    You can always stitch the zenith in with PTGui. These are possible scenarios:

1. No control points were assigned automatically between the zenith and the horizontal row but there are some (a few) features available: Assign the control points manually and optimize the zenith along with the horizontal row.

2. There are no features for control points available: If you had the zenith shot pointing directly upwards, then you know its pitch value was 90. Assuming that you swung the camera up from the position of the last horizontal shot, you know that the zenith's yaw value is the same as the previous shot, which you can find on the Image Parameters tab (Advanced Mode). The roll value will be similar to all the other horizontals shots. So just enter these y,p,r values in manually and generate the panorama without further optimization.

3. Position the zenith manually: Set its pitch to 90 degrees. Tip the whole panorama down by 90 degrees to bring the zenith area to the middle of the Panorama Editor window using the numerical transform button (apply pitch=0). Select the Edit individual images mode button and then drag/rotate the zenith image to give a seamless match to the surrounding images. When satisfied, return the panorama to its normal orientation by applying pitch=-90 with the numerical transform option. Then generate the panorama (no further optimization).

Tip: When shooting the zenith, set the pitch angle to 65-70 degrees instead of 90 so one edge is much lower down and aligned with an area with lots more potentail for finding control points. It will still cover the hole left by the horizontal shots.

John
  5. Re: nikon d90 + nikkor 10.5mm fisheye

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZiD View Post
    the nadir is no problem.found out when using 8 pictures round and 1 up and 1 down.
    have it mounted at 52mm on the lower rail and 86 on the upper..
    For Nikon 10.5mm, you only need 6 picts around. You upper rail NPP is for 6 around. It will be different for 8 around. The lower rail setting for D80 is 58. Not sure with D90. You can check it with a plumb line.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  6. Re: nikon d90 + nikkor 10.5mm fisheye

guess i have the mount pretty spot on now, 55mm on the lower rail and 86 on the upper... 6 shots around 1up and 1 down. autopano gives me no problems anymore. but now it's ptgui thats messing it up for me..
    dont like that i have to manually assigne control points in ptgui. so if anyone want to take a look at one picture set for me the files are here..

http://www.tbn-club.com/files/stitching_problem.rar

just to help me. give me some pointers of what to do. need to be 100% sure that the pictures i take when i'm out is possible to stitch together when i get back home..
  7. Re: nikon d90 + nikkor 10.5mm fisheye

You need to take more care when shooting your panorama. Use manual focus mode to fix the focus position the same for all the shots. Neither of your two nadir shots had the floor in focus. Flash is tricky to use for panoramas. In your case, it doesn't come close to covering the whole field of view of the lens, resulting in dark corners. This looks like extreme vignetting, but it's not ciircular and not easy to correct. It will help a lot if you put a diffuser in front of the flash to spread the beam out and also avoid the hard shadows that don't match in successive shots. I got a reasonable stitch with PTGui, though I had to add some control points manually. I also used some lens parameters from a calibration exercise using a shot of the stars in the night sky taken with a similar lens/camera combination. I put the result and project files at:

http://www.johnhpanos.com/zidpano.mov
    http://www.johnhpanos.com/zidpano.zip (project file)

NB. I rotated the images into portrait orientation (to suit my lens parameters) and used only 7 of the images.

John
  8. Re: nikon d90 + nikkor 10.5mm fisheye

did learn alot when i was outside shooting last night.. took 3 panoramas outside last night. and non of them had any special stitching problems.. just the nadir shot. way to dark and gave me problems then. but the zenith shot on 2 of them had no problems, but had to shoot in manual focus to get the sky. so guess it's just up to my photo skills now. even got "to good to be true" when i ran the optimizer in ptgui.

cant wait till a night when it's great aurora borealis on the sky.. can be some amazing panorama shots then
+ Reply to Thread