about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Hi, It will be nice if at least one rotator can have 72 stops, one at every 5 degrees.
    This is very useful in object movie making when the rotator is mounted under the turntable and also if some turntable/dish will be available in the future this will be very useful as well.

Dorin
  2. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Quote Originally Posted by DorinDXN View Post
    Hi, It will be nice if at least one rotator can have 72 stops, one at every 5 degrees.
    This is very useful in object movie making when the rotator is mounted under the turntable and also if some turntable/dish will be available in the future this will be very useful as well.

Dorin
    Hi Dorin,

Great idea using a rotator under the turntable. This would be faster and more accurate than aligning degree marks on the turntable edge with a fixed index mark. For 5 degrees, the rotator would need to be a larger diameter which is less desirable for use with a pano head.

Look at the current NN5 10 degree detent plate. Detents holes at 5 degrees would overlap.

David
  3. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Hi David, for rotators which already have 10 degrees stops is only need for an second optional Lower Detent Release Knob, which to have 5 degrees offset from the first one, the same 10 degrees ring can be used, so for NN5 is only need for another hole next to spirit level in which hole the second lower detent to be screwed. As for the dish for NN5 a piece which looks more like Enterprise starship, mean a disc with a radial rail under to be secured in two holes on lower rail of NN5 in such way that the center of the disc to be over the center of the rotator.

Dorin
  4. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Users Country Flag

Dorin
    Hi Dorin,

I am not familiar with object movie. Does it make a big different for 5 deg and 7.5 deg for object movie? I can add another detent pluger to the 10 deg one with 5 deg offset to achieve 5 deg stops. But it becomes cumbersome to use.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Hi Dorin,

I am not familiar with object movie. Does it make a big different for 5 deg and 7.5 deg for object movie? I can add another detent pluger to the 10 deg one with 5 deg offset to achieve 5 deg stops. But it becomes cumbersome to use.

Nick
    Hi Nick,

I produced 4 object movies using NN5 and some quick plate I made, a better plate will be in the future.
    For now I used 10 degrees detent ring on NN5 to produce

a) 10 degrees object movie http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_OM/dxn_om10.html
    b) 7.5 degrees object movie http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_OM/dxn_om7p5.html
    c) 5 degrees object movie http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_OM/dxn_om5p0.html
    d) 2.5 degrees object movie http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_OM/dxn_om2p5.html

the necessarily offset was obtained from tripod mount

About becoming cubersome to use. Of course you know better. My guess is that the new hole on NN5 can have a cover and the extra detent pluger (identical with the first one) will be regarded as extra (a replace for the first mean a longer life for NN5) by the people who don't need for the 5 degrees interval.
    Those who need it, will mount the extra detent pluger when is needed, either in object movie making or panorama with 5 degrees interval or so.

The same for R-D12, only a new hole and an extra detent pluger (might be regarded as extra if is not used)

Dorin
  6. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Users Country Flag

hi Dorin,

what is the size for 7.5 deg and 5 deg movies? The 10 deg movie is pretty good for me already.
    how do you make the movie? Can you trun the object up and down as well?

nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Hi Nick, Yes the 10 deg is good but 5.0 deg is smoother
    The size of 5 deg movie is a double of size of 10 deg movie as it has twice as much frames, the sizes are

2.5 deg = 3.6 MB
    5.0 deg = 1.8 MB
    7.5 deg = 1.1 MB
    10 deg = 0.9 MB

The object movie can be produced using Pano2QTVR (I guess pro version) software, or some panotools script.
    The object can be turned up and down if it is photographed for that purpose.
    I'll try now to produce a turnable left-right-up-down object movie of a small object using a setup made from pieces of NN5 and NN3.

I'll be back

Dorin
  8. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Hi, here's an object movie of a small object, was made uising NN5 mounted a bit different as we used to.

http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_OM/adidas/adidas.html
    I've made also a cross-eye variant
    http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_OM/adid..._crosseye.html

the setup

Dorin

9. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Dorin, In the cross eye variant, the left image seems stretched horizontally for some reason. It makes for uncomfortable viewing.

John
  10. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Thank you John, I've noticed that, seems that is happen only on internet and after refresh appears corectly, I think it has to do with one .mov being partial/not completelly loaded or such.

Dorin
  11. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Users Country Flag

just a thought...
    You can set far closer divisions ,with the same size detent hole, in a spiral on the face of a cylinder or cone than you can on a flat disk.
    I do not know any one who uses this fact except perhaps in tool making.
  12. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    just a thought...
    You can set far closer divisions ,with the same size detent hole, in a spiral on the face of a cylinder or cone than you can on a flat disk.
    I do not know any one who uses this fact except perhaps in tool making.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the idea. But it seems far more difficult to make.

Nick

Fanotec
  13. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Users Country Flag

Hi Nick, Yes the 10 deg is good but 5.0 deg is smoother
    How about a separate rotator with 100mm diameter and dual detent with finest interval of 2.5 deg. The intervals can be 20, 15, 10, 7.5, 5, 2.5 degs. This will serve people making high resolution mosaic well and works perfectly as a click-stop turntable. It is good idea to make turntable as accessory. thanks for the suggestion.

Nick

Fanotec
  14. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    How about a separate rotator with 100mm diameter and dual detent with finest interval of 2.5 deg. The intervals can be 20, 15, 10, 7.5, 5, 2.5 degs. This will serve people making high resolution mosaic well and works perfectly as a click-stop turntable. It is good idea to make turntable as accessory. thanks for the suggestion.

Nick
    That will be great

Dorin
  15. Re: about the maximum number of stops in Fanotec rotators

Users Country Flag

That will be great

Dorin
    on a second thought, I am not sure people want such a large rotator. It is going to be heavy. maybe a smaller rotator with finest interval of 3.75 deg will be better.

nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread