Detent plate oddity...

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Detent plate oddity...

Share/Bookmark
  1. Detent plate oddity...

    #1

    Got my NN3MII about 2 months ago off eBay. Today was the first day I used it.
    Don't ask why. Noticed a weird thing with the detente plates.

    Either the two pin holes that keep the detente plate from spinning are different
    sizes or the pins themselves are two different sizes. If I put the detente plate
    on one way, it doesn't fit flush to the face of the arm -- rotate it 180 degrees
    and I don't mean flip it over -- and it fits flush.

    If the detente plate doesn't fit flush, there is play on the axis of the rotator.
    And the whole system wobbles slightly -- not good.

    When it is flush, no play -- every thing is good.

    I'm not complaining. I'll keep what I have -- just thought you should know...

    DD
  2. Re: Detent plate oddity...

    #2
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,441

    you will feel some wobbling even with gap as small as 0.01mm. We aim to give the highest precision in manufacturing but there is always a limit.
    The NN3II rotator is very precise when compared to other competing rotator/pano head with similar price.


    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Detent plate oddity...

    #3

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    you will feel some wobbling even with gap as small as 0.01mm. We aim to give the highest precision in manufacturing but there is always a limit.
    The NN3II rotator is very precise when compared to other competing rotator/pano head with similar price.


    Nick
    Hi Nick,

    I'm not disrespecting NN in any way. The gap is much larger than 0.01mm when the plate is
    not correctly positioned. When it is, the gap is just about 0.0. I just thought it was
    odd that there was a difference in the way the plate seated that was dependent
    on which pin went into which hole.

    I've seen others mention a wobble in the rotator. This could be the reason.
  4. Re: Detent plate oddity...

    #4
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Saddleworth UK
    Posts: 242

    The faces of the detent plates are plane parallel, so it should not make any difference which way they are positioned.
    Have you tried removing the pins, to see if you still have a wobble.
    To get such a wobble one of the pins may somehow be lifting the plate by a small amount.
    A very close inspection could show why.

    In any event I would try a different plate to see if you get the same problem
    if you do not, it would seem to be a problem with the detent disc itself.
    You could also try changing the pins for spare ones to check them.



  5. Re: Detent plate oddity...

    #5

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Got my NN3MII about 2 months ago off eBay. Today was the first day I used it.
    Don't ask why. Noticed a weird thing with the detente plates. Either the two pin holes that keep the detente plate from spinning are different
    sizes or the pins themselves are two different sizes. If I put the detente plate on one way, it doesn't fit flush to the face of the arm -- rotate it 180 degrees
    and I don't mean flip it over -- and it fits flush. If the detente plate doesn't fit flush, there is play on the axis of the rotator. And the whole system wobbles slightly -- not good. When it is flush, no play -- every thing is good. I'm not complaining. I'll keep what I have -- just thought you should know...
    DD
    Hey DD,
    Something does not sound right. Not sure if you have an updated MKII or the newer NN3 MKII (slight difference in the way the rings are designed and the mounting surface for the rings to fit inside of. Either way the rings should sit flush.
    Unfortunately warranties are not transferable so items bought on eBay are not covered against defect. This is due to the fact the head might have been damaged or abused (i.e. someone here probably improvised and put in the wrong set pins). However if you would like to send the unit in for repair I would be happy to have a look and offer a fix for a small cost. Touch bases with me offsite if you're interested - bill[at]nodalninja[dot]com.
    You really should consider having it fixed as your unit is apparently not working as designed and may lead to headaches and added workflow in creating panoramas.

    Bill
  6. Re: Detent plate oddity...

    #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Hey DD,
    Something does not sound right. Not sure if you have an updated MKII or the newer NN3 MKII (slight difference in the way the rings are designed and the mounting surface for the rings to fit inside of. Either way the rings should sit flush.
    Unfortunately warranties are not transferable so items bought on eBay are not covered against defect. This is due to the fact the head might have been damaged or abused (i.e. someone here probably improvised and put in the wrong set pins). However if you would like to send the unit in for repair I would be happy to have a look and offer a fix for a small cost. Touch bases with me offsite if you're interested - bill[at]nodalninja[dot]com.
    You really should consider having it fixed as your unit is apparently not working as designed and may lead to headaches and added workflow in creating panoramas.

    Bill
    I have no idea if this is an updated MKII or a newer MKII. And I repeat -- the ring sits flush if I put it in the right way.
    By "right way" I mean that the ring is rotated about it's vertical axis either 0 degrees or 180 degrees and one way it sits
    flush and the other way it sits at an angle.

    When the detent ring is flush, the unit works just fine.

    I can work with it the way it is. I'm smart enough and good enough with my hands to see the problem and make it
    work. I never assumed it was under warranty. I bought it off eBay. I don't need the warranty.

    I just mentioned this because I have seen others mention the "wobble" symptoms and this is one sure cause of that.

    I just mentioned this for your own information. I'm not upset -- I don't need to send it back to you. I'm a happy duck....

    DD
  7. Re: Detent plate oddity...

    #7

    ok - sounds fair. We appreciate your feedback and we're here should you need any assist or help.
    thx
    Bill
+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts