Slipping at camera contact point?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slipping at camera contact point?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Slipping at camera contact point?

Hello all,

I just purchased a new NN3II. One issue I've encountered is that with a 100mm lens my D300 slips (rotates slowly downward due to the weight of the lens) no matter how much I tighten the mounting screw. Not good! I have an RRS plate attached to the D300.

Thoughts on a solution?

Thanks!

--Darin
  2. Re: Slipping at camera contact point?

How about this Manfrotto solution:

http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.php?topic=206.0

?

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?
  3. Re: Slipping at camera contact point?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by darinb View Post
    Hello all,

I just purchased a new NN3II. One issue I've encountered is that with a 100mm lens my D300 slips (rotates slowly downward due to the weight of the lens) no matter how much I tighten the mounting screw. Not good! I have an RSS plate attached to the D300.

Thoughts on a solution?

Thanks!

--Darin
    hi Darin,

you got a RRS plate dedicated for D300? it should have anti-twisting feature?

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: Slipping at camera contact point?

Hey Nick,

I've got the plate on the camera and I found an extra plate for the bottom of the NN3. So far so good. I tried one of my clamps on the top rail but I have one with a knob, and the knob crashes into the top rail. I'm looking at buying a lever version which would clear the rail ($120--which would bring the NN3 + rails and clamps to just 50% of the RRS pano head!).

For reference. here is the plate that I have: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Item...=BD300&eq=&Tp=

Here is the lens that I am using (pdf) at 680 grams: http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B8B6...2_100ZF_EN.pdf

The basic problem is that the rubber pad of the NN3 makes little actual contact with the bottom of the RRS plate. The plate is partially "hollowed out" to reduce weight and so the NN3 pad touches only a small portion of the thin "rails."

I've attached two pictures of the bottom of the RRS camera plate, one normal and one colored to show the approximate contact points of the NN3 pad.

One advantage of buying the $120 RRS clamp is that it has a resale value exceeded only by the NN3 itself

--Darin
  5. Re: Slipping at camera contact point?

Users Country Flag

you are using NN3 with the original rubber square washer or the new camera mounting plate?

Nick

Fanotec
  6. Re: Slipping at camera contact point?

>>you are using NN3 with the original rubber square washer or the new camera mounting plate?<<

Hey Nick,

I'm using a unit I purchased in October of this year so I guess I have the new camera mounting plate. Looks like this: http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n3-cmk+n-srw.htm

I've found that if I use a rail stop the extra friction from the rail stop helps a bit to reduce slipping--it still slips but "only" about 10 or 15 degrees, instead of all the way down. Still not good, but better.

As an experiment I took the other rail stop and glued some thin foam material to it. I'm hoping that the foam will grip the RSS rail better than the hard rubber/plastic pad and will prevent slippage. I'll try it later today or tomorrow--I think the glue should be dry by now...

--Darin
  7. Re: Slipping at camera contact point?

Users Country Flag

HI Darin,

Maybe I can make you a custom adapter. Contact me through email.

"Nick
    at
    Fanotec
    dot
    com"

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread