Manfrotto quick release

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manfrotto quick release

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Manfrotto quick release

I've browsed the site and the forum and, I hate to admit it, but I can't figure out if there is a way to attach my D300 with a Manfrotto quick release plate attached to the NN3 MKII. I have read references to an upcoming adapter "within a month", but they seem to be dated back in July; is this available now? Sorry if this information is available and I'm just not finding it.

Regards,
    Bob
  2. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Users Country Flag

it is shipping this month. sorry for the delays. However, some slight modification to Manfrotto 323 safety pin is needed.
    stay tuned. Bill will make the announcement when he get them.
    nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Thanks for the clarification. I'll check back from time to time.

Regards,
    Bob
  4. Re: Manfrotto quick release

send me an email I will email you a pictures of my NN3 D300, with Manfrotto QR
  5. Re: Manfrotto quick release

6. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Users Country Flag

BTW, a low profile QR clamp that works for gitzo and manfrotto plate is under production. It should be the thinnest solution.

nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: Manfrotto quick release

I went to my local camera store yesterday with my NN3 in hand to see for myself what the issues were. They had a Manfrotto 323 quick release adapter that they let me play with and I now see why the geometry won't work. With the Manfrotto adapter and quick release plate mounted to the existing NN3 camera mounting plate and the upper arm at it's furthest extension, it still pushes the centerline of lens past the centerline of the NN3 rotator and if one tries to mount the 323 adapter directly to the upper arm of the NN3 instead, the hub of the release lever and the locking lever of the adapter conflict with the upper arm itself. I guess if I had purchased a NN5 instead this would not be an issue, correct?

When you say, "a low profile QR clamp that works for gitzo and manfrotto plate is under production" are you referring to the one you've referred to in the past that will be available through you or is this something else that will be coming from Manfrotto? I assume the whole point of making it thinner is to be able to pull the centerline of the lens back far enough to come in line with the rotator.

This whole thing became an issue when I decide to use a hand strap that attaches to the tripod socket with this adapter plate http://www.camdapter.com/product_manfrotto_std.html and as you can see it attaches with an allen screw, so it's not very convenient to remove; not the end of the world, just not convenient.

Thanks,
    Bob
  8. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rnickel View Post
    I went to my local camera store yesterday with my NN3 in hand to see for myself what the issues were. They had a Manfrotto 323 quick release adapter that they let me play with and I now see why the geometry won't work. With the Manfrotto adapter and quick release plate mounted to the existing NN3 camera mounting plate and the upper arm at it's furthest extension, it still pushes the centerline of lens past the centerline of the NN3 rotator and if one tries to mount the 323 adapter directly to the upper arm of the NN3 instead, the hub of the release lever and the locking lever of the adapter conflict with the upper arm itself. I guess if I had purchased a NN5 instead this would not be an issue, correct?
    You can mount the 323 in 90 deg position. The locking lever will be outside the upper rail. But it won't work with your custom plate.

When you say, "a low profile QR clamp that works for gitzo and manfrotto plate is under production" are you referring to the one you've referred to in the past that will be available through you or is this something else that will be coming from Manfrotto? I assume the whole point of making it thinner is to be able to pull the centerline of the lens back far enough to come in line with the rotator.

This whole thing became an issue when I decide to use a hand strap that attaches to the tripod socket with this adapter plate http://www.camdapter.com/product_manfrotto_std.html and as you can see it attaches with an allen screw, so it's not very convenient to remove; not the end of the world, just not convenient.

Thanks,
    Bob
    The QR clamp is our new product. It will be available in Dec. It will work for your custom plate.

Nick

Fanotec
  9. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Attaching one's camera to anything is surprisingly complicated. Mounting
    plates -- off center tripod holes -- different size threads.

I'm a skier. The ski industry went through something similar with
    ski boots and bindings. Each ski boot manufacturer had a different
    idea of what a ski boot should look like and every binding manufacturer
    had a different idea of what kind of boot would fit the binding.

So the ski boot manufacturers and the ski binding manufacturers
    got together and decided on a standard to describe boot soles
    and binding shapes.

Someday, the camera makers and the tripod makers will get
    together and decide -- for the sake of their own bottom line --
    to standardize the "interface" between cameras and tripods.

Then companies like NN will have a standard way to clamp a
    camera to their product.

I predict that the tripod thread in the bottom of the camera
    will someday be replaced by a built in plate shape that will
    be a standard shape and fit standard tripods and accessory
    heads like NN.

God knows how long that will take...

DD
  10. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Users Country Flag

Thanks,
    Bob

Hi Bob,

I have check out the compatibility of the new QR clamp for you. With the clamp on NN3, the max supported height from base to lens axis is 49mm using the Manfrotto 323 plate. This is ok for D300. However, it also reduces the working range of the upper rail if a zenith shot is required. The max value is 85mm. if a zenith shot is not required, it can exlend the range on the upper rail to 110mm.

Nick

Nick

Fanotec
  11. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Thanks,
    Bob
    I just want to extend a quick thanks and "Well done" on the QRC2 quick release clamp. The quality is top notch and it works perfectly with the quick release plate on my Camdapter hand strap. This will make setting up for panoramas far less of a chore. Attached are some shots of the setup.

Regards,
    Bob
  12. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Users Country Flag

I just want to extend a quick thanks and "Well done" on the QRC2 quick release clamp. The quality is top notch and it works perfectly with the quick release plate on my Camdapter hand strap. This will make setting up for panoramas far less of a chore. Attached are some shots of the setup.

Regards,
    Bob
    glad it works for you. Making the clamp compatible with Manfrotto and Gitzo will serves lots of people. :-)

Nick

Fanotec
  13. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post

Hi Bob,

I have check out the compatibility of the new QR clamp for you. With the clamp on NN3, the max supported height from base to lens axis is 49mm using the Manfrotto 323 plate. This is ok for D300. However, it also reduces the working range of the upper rail if a zenith shot is required. The max value is 85mm. if a zenith shot is not required, it can exlend the range on the upper rail to 110mm.

Nick

Nick
    Struggling to get my head around the options here !

I use NN3 II + Nikon D300 + Tokina 12-24.
    I use NN settings: Lower rail is 50mm, upper rail is 110mm (so already have the Zenith issue).
    I also have a ball head with the Manfrotto RC2 quick release.

Will the NN Quick Release System fit my NN3 ?
    Will the Manfrotto RC2 plate fit in the NN QRC2 Clamp ?
    Will it all work with my D300/Tokina 12-24 combo ? (accepting no Zenith)

Appreciate your help !

Dave
  14. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Struggling to get my head around the options here !

I use NN3 II + Nikon D300 + Tokina 12-24.
    I use NN settings: Lower rail is 50mm, upper rail is 110mm (so already have the Zenith issue).
    I also have a ball head with the Manfrotto RC2 quick release.

Will the NN Quick Release System fit my NN3 ?
    Will the Manfrotto RC2 plate fit in the NN QRC2 Clamp ?
    Will it all work with my D300/Tokina 12-24 combo ? (accepting no Zenith)

Appreciate your help !

Dave

From your settings, the QRC2 will work for you.

Nick

Fanotec
  15. Re: Manfrotto quick release

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post

From your settings, the QRC2 will work for you.

Nick
    Many thanks Nick - will be placing my order !
+ Reply to Thread