Lighting and the use of a Flash (Indoor Shooting)

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lighting and the use of a Flash (Indoor Shooting)

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Lighting and the use of a Flash (Indoor Shooting)

OK so I took my first pano today with my new NN5. I got to say I was really really impressed with the NN5.

When shooting indoors do you use a flash? I found that there were some dark spots in my house that I normally would use a flash with to light them up. I also had to adjust the exposure with every shot, since the lighting changed thoughout the 360.

Once the shots are done do you guys normally bring them into photoshop or something to work with the lighting levels before stitching them?

My setup is the following.
    Canon 40D
    Sigma 8mm
    NN5

I used PTGUI Pro (Trial Version) to do the stiching
    I used Pano2VR (Demo Version) to do the movie

Movie File - No flash was used.
    Movie File

In the pano you can see areas where it is a little blotchy. I guess this is do to the light differences between pictures after they were stitched.
  2. Re: Lighting and the use of a Flash (Indoor Shooting)

Great stuff! Your dog is bored stiff on the sofa... and your cat is watching Fox News on the big screen TV!

Using flash would be difficult to balance between frames making blending a challenge.

The windows are exposed well. Often indoor shots are exposed more for the shadows, then the windows are blown out.

You might try bracketing your exposures to better balance the lighting.

David
  3. Re: Lighting and the use of a Flash (Indoor Shooting)

Yea, Spock our cat likes to watch TV and Roxie our dog is in heat right now, so she is wearing a diaper. What you don't see are the 3 other cats and 2 other dogs.

I will give bracketing a go.

4. Re: Lighting and the use of a Flash (Indoor Shooting)

I think you have chosen the most difficult of subjects as your first panorama: one with mixed lighting types and a huge dynamic range. Anybody would find that a big challenge. I would advise you to start with an easier subject - perhaps outdoors - so you can learn how to use the stitcher. Give all the shots the same exposure and a specific white balance (not auto). That will eliminate the blending problems. When you have got to grips with the stitcher, you can look into HDR and fusion techniques for capturing high dynamic range subjects. A mixture of daylight and artifical lighting is particularly tough. Film companies will hang coloured plastic film over the outside of windows to reduce the brightness and correct the colour balance to match the interior lighting. That solves the problem in a very convenient way, but is hardly practical for most of us. There's a lot to learn and you are not going to do it overnight, so take things slowly.

John
  5. Re: Lighting and the use of a Flash (Indoor Shooting)

Quote Originally Posted by Tri3 View Post
    What you don't see are the 3 other cats and 2 other dogs.
    Well, actually the other three are in the background. One on the table close to the notebook and the other two resting and looking thru the window. Sorry for the off-topic comment, but I found the scene funny.
    Regards, Martin
  6. Re: Lighting and the use of a Flash (Indoor Shooting)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tri3 View Post
    OK so I took my first pano today with my new NN5. I got to say I was really really impressed with the NN5.

When shooting indoors do you use a flash? I found that there were some dark spots in my house that I normally would use a flash with to light them up. I also had to adjust the exposure with every shot, since the lighting changed thoughout the 360.

Once the shots are done do you guys normally bring them into photoshop or something to work with the lighting levels before stitching them?

My setup is the following.
    Canon 40D
    Sigma 8mm
    NN5

I used PTGUI Pro (Trial Version) to do the stiching
    I used Pano2VR (Demo Version) to do the movie

Movie File - No flash was used.
    Movie File

In the pano you can see areas where it is a little blotchy. I guess this is do to the light differences between pictures after they were stitched.
    Hi Tri3,

you got your NN5. That is quick. I would suggest you not to mount the flash on the camera on NN5. Flash is tall and can generate very large twisting torque on the upper rail of NN5. I suggest to use off-camera cord and try to mount the flash on the rails (where possible) in stead.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  7. Re: Lighting and the use of a Flash (Indoor Shooting)

Hi Nick,

You can thank Bill for the fast service. I would of had it two days earlier, but the postman came when I was in the shower, so I had to pick it up at the post office, which took two days.

I was simply amazed how nice the NN5 is. It is almost a work of art. I am extremely impressed. I am sure I will be getting the EZ Leveler when they are available.
+ Reply to Thread