Just got NN5, and have a few questions

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just got NN5, and have a few questions

Share/Bookmark
  1. Just got NN5, and have a few questions

Am fairly new to Panoramics, just got the new NN5 with RD12 today, and have got 5 of my lenses settings locked in using a D300 with and without the MB-10. But am having trouble getting the 70-200mm F/2.8 VR set up well when at 70mm and especially 200mm, which is what i really need to figure out. I'm mostly planning on doing gigapixel sized multi row panos with it.

Anyone know the the proper settings? Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Re: Just got NN5, and have a few questions

It could be that the No Parallax Point of that lens is BEHIND the camera (for some of the zoom-settings).
    The Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 I tested some time ago at 200mm had this, so similar lenses could have it too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl...in/set-711576/

Regards,

Erik Leeman

www.erikleeman.com flickr.com/photos/erik-nl
  3. Re: Just got NN5, and have a few questions

It's really easy to estimate the position of the entrance pupil (the no parallax point), which can be seen simply by looking into the lens. It just needs to be back lit by light entering the camera via the eyepiece at the back of the camera and reflected down by the pentaprism see www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm. The Canon 70-200mm also has the entrance pupil behind the lens mount at the 200mm zoom position, so expect the Nikkor to be similar.

John
  4. Re: Just got NN5, and have a few questions

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aidenag View Post
    But am having trouble getting the 70-200mm F/2.8 VR set up well when at 70mm and especially 200mm, which is what i really need to figure out. I'm mostly planning on doing gigapixel sized multi row panos with it.
    you can find the setting here
    http://www.swissarmyfork.com/lens_table_1.htm

at 200mm, NPP is 5.5mm behind the sensor plane.
    you need to point the upper rail to the front to get this setting. Actually NPP is not very important for scenes that require 300mm eq. focal length. Objects are too distant for NNP to matter.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: Just got NN5, and have a few questions

Thanks for all the input and links guys, i would have never thought of setting it up like that with the 70-200mm@200mm, is truly odd. Will give that 5.5mm behind the sensor a try right now. Are there any other good tidbits of info on that site you linked as well nick? i would check it out for myself, but google is saying it has .ru trojans running on it as recently as a week ago. So im a bit wary to browse it.

Also congrats on the new product Nick, Very well made, perfect weight, and uber stable when i use it with my Gitzo 3541LS. You guys have great customer service too, was a nice surprise to see that the NN5 w/RD12 came with the case at no extra cost when it arrived in the mail yesterday

6. Re: Just got NN5, and have a few questions

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aidenag View Post
    Thanks for all the input and links guys, i would have never thought of setting it up like that with the 70-200mm@200mm, is truly odd. Will give that 5.5mm behind the sensor a try right now. Are there any other good tidbits of info on that site you linked as well nick? i would check it out for myself, but google is saying it has .ru trojans running on it as recently as a week ago. So im a bit wary to browse it.
    I got the warning as well. no harm to my PC found. Antivirus program does not report any harzard on my PC. I collected the link a year ago. The site host some photos.

Also congrats on the new product Nick, Very well made, perfect weight, and uber stable when i use it with my Gitzo 3541LS. You guys have great customer service too, was a nice surprise to see that the NN5 w/RD12 came with the case at no extra cost when it arrived in the mail yesterday
    Thank you for your early support. Some people are waiting for user reports before they order. ;-)

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread