D300 with 12-24mm f/4 or 10.5mm Fisheye

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: D300 with 12-24mm f/4 or 10.5mm Fisheye

Share/Bookmark
  1. D300 with 12-24mm f/4 or 10.5mm Fisheye

Hello All,

Please bear with me, I'm quite new to this. I want to shoot VR tours for hotel rooms, but also the odd outdoor VR would be nice too. Here are a few questions I have.

1. I have a D300 and the Nikon 12-24mm f/4 lens. Am I good to go with this lens, or should I pick up a 10.5mm fisheye?

2. I see in the supported equipment list that the NN3 MKII is fine for this setup, but somewhere here in the forums, I saw someone recommending the NN5 as a better option. Any thoughts on this? Which of the two should I purchase? Do I need any other hardware to make this work?

3. I'm planning on using easypano software for the stitching and VR creation, but I haven't ordered it yet. Is this an appropriate choice for what I'm going to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions!

Cheers, Russ
  2. Re: D300 with 12-24mm f/4 or 10.5mm Fisheye

Users Country Flag

hi Russ,

with fisheye, you only need 8 shots; with 12-24mm, you need 18 shots.

NN3II will be fine with D300 and 10.5mm fisheye.
    NN5/ NN5L will perform better for 12-24mm. more stability and full zenith shot.

NN5 has positive stops in the upper rotator and will be very useful for scenes with featureless content at the seams. You can do semi-batch stitch with NN5.

NN3II/NN5/NN5L have packages and they are all you need. You can of course add quick release system, leveling base to them.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: D300 with 12-24mm f/4 or 10.5mm Fisheye

Good morning!

Thank you both for your input.

I'm thinking the fisheye solution is probably the best for me. Is there another (perhaps less expensive) fisheye lens available for the D300 that is being used by others for use with the NN?

Also, since you mentioned it, I have looked into the Autopano Pro, which seems to be great software, so it's possible that I'll go that route instead of the Easypano Panoweaver.

Thanks again!

Cheers, Russ
  4. Re: D300 with 12-24mm f/4 or 10.5mm Fisheye

Hello! Thanks again for the prompt replies!

I've decided to go with the NN5 (I placed my order already, and can't wait to get it!), the Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 Fisheye, and Autopano Pro.

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get all of the new gear, so I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Russ
+ Reply to Thread