D300 + Nikon 10.5 fisheye
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D300 + Nikon 10.5 fisheye

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: D300 + Nikon 10.5 fisheye

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    On another forum Matt from 360precision said: "The D200/10.5 setting for six shots is 83mm and 86mm on the D300. Matt 360Precision.com" (http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/4486/)
    I suppose he's referring to respectively the lower and upper rail settings?
    Matt was not referring to lower rail settings at all. 83mm refers to the upper rail setting with the D200, and 86 refers to the upper rail setting with the D300.

It's of no importance what anybody else tells you the settings are. You can so easily check for parallax by taking some photos yourself and know for sure whether your settings eliminate parallax or not. If they don't, adjust them until they do. You then know that your settings are correct. Whether they are the same as anybody else's is of no particular interest.

But do try to get out and shoot a panorama in a much bigger venue where parallax is not so important an issue and see if you can manage a stitch without any errors.

John
  2. Re: D300 + Nikon 10.5 fisheye

Okidoki thanks.

I was just thinking, if the 360precision guys make a panohead that cannot be changed and is qualified for making stitches out of templates, that there should exist "th?© settings" for the NN5 with my D300 and 10.5fish (well, of course for all the other camera/lens combo's as well). I like scientific ways of seeing things not always the trial and error mode and since this is quite a popular combinaton I guessed s??meone should know 'th?© settings' :-)
    Guess I'll be trialanderroring a bit further :-) but I'm getting close now.

Have a nice day,
    Wim.
  3. Re: D300 + Nikon 10.5 fisheye

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    Okidoki thanks.

I was just thinking, if the 360precision guys make a panohead that cannot be changed and is qualified for making stitches out of templates, that there should exist "th?© settings" for the NN5 with my D300 and 10.5fish (well, of course for all the other camera/lens combo's as well). I like scientific ways of seeing things not always the trial and error mode and since this is quite a popular combinaton I guessed s??meone should know 'th?© settings' :-)
    Guess I'll be trialanderroring a bit further :-) but I'm getting close now.

Have a nice day,
    Wim.

It would be nice if it were true, that there was a scientifically exact setting for each and every camera and lens combination.
    However the fact remains that manufacturing tolerances play their part and although the exterior of lenses and cameras tend to be very accurate and repeatable,
    The same can not be said for lens settings and sensor placements.

There are small but significant differences in the settings achieved by most photographers to arrive at "Perfect Stitches"

This is all unfortunate but true... equally true is the fact that some seem able to set better control points than others, and some need to do less fine corrections in photoshop than others.

All very unscientific.... more of a " Dark Art" perhaps? I think John is some sort of master "Wizard" when it comes to stitching... but it is strange how luck improves in proportion to practice and understanding.
  4. Re: D300 + Nikon 10.5 fisheye

Yes indeed it certainly is more then numbers and photographs...
    But I keep wondering how the 'Absolute' panoheads work by 360Precision... if there are, for each lens or camera, differing settings cause of their interior, you sure must have some luck to have a camera or lens that matches the unchangable Absolute panohead. If any parallax occurs cause of a sensor shift or I don't know what, then you might as well buy a new one untill you get better luck.
    Don't know if this makes sense, I'm just wondering...

Wim.
  5. Re: D300 + Nikon 10.5 fisheye

A sensor shift cannot cause parallax because it has no impact on the entrance pupil position, but a new template file would be required that took took account of the shift.

John
  6. Re: D300 + Nikon 10.5 fisheye

Thank you.

I have plenty of stuff to think about now.
    You will hear from me again when I'm struggeling with the settings again ;-) (quite soon I expect)

Bye, Wim.
  7. Re: D300 + Nikon 10.5 fisheye

Hello everybody,

I have intensively been busy panoram'ing and i would like to say that I have, because of your - en esp?©cially John's - help I have managed to do to several successfull, errorfree stitches with PTGui.
    Some outdoors, some indoors, with close and far away objects. I'm feeling confident thanks to you.

Just wanted to say that.
    Best regards,
    Wim.
  8. Re: D300 + Nikon 10.5 fisheye

does anybody know about D300+nikkor 10.5mm setting wtih NN5??