Problems using the higher count stop / detent rings

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problems using the higher count stop / detent rings

Share/Bookmark
  1. Problems using the higher count stop / detent rings

I tried to use the higher count stop / detent rings with a Canon 300 mm f4 IS and a 28-135 mm USM zoom at 135 mm on a Canon 40D body. I was trying to shoot a high resolution panorama of the city from above. I tried using the n24 stop at 15 degrees per detent and then the n36 stop at 10 degrees. I was not able to reliably feel the stops at n36. Would I be better off shooting without stop ring and manually adjusting each shot?

Also, the n36 stop at 10 degrees is still too much rotation for this shot if I am able to adjust the lower rotater tension knob (15) and the lower rotater lock knob (1. How should the lower detent release knob (14) be set?

I do have a Manfrotto 3275 architectural head that has course and fine adjustments in three axii. Maybe I should place that between my tripod and NN5L. I could manually make the horizontal sweep using my liveview or viewfinder to tell me where I am at in between. The 300 mm f4 IS takes a whole new level of patience when shooting panos. Just breath on it. I dare you
  2. Re: Problems using the higher count stop / detent rings

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Castillonis View Post
    I tried to use the higher count stop / detent rings with a Canon 300 mm f4 IS and a 28-135 mm USM zoom at 135 mm on a Canon 40D body. I was trying to shoot a high resolution panorama of the city from above.
    300mm on 40D, that is 480mm eq. whew! are you sure you need that much resolution?

I tried using the n24 stop at 15 degrees per detent and then the n36 stop at 10 degrees. I was not able to reliably feel the stops at n36. Would I be better off shooting without stop ring and manually adjusting each shot?

Also, the n36 stop at 10 degrees is still too much rotation for this shot if I am able to adjust the lower rotater tension knob (15) and the lower rotater lock knob (1. How should the lower detent release knob (14) be set?
    The n36 (10 deg interval) is only good for 70mm (about 22% overlap). The max FL you can use is 77mm (about 11% overlap). for higher FL, you need to disable the detent by unscrewing the lower detent release knob (14). Unscrew it untill you don't feel any resistance from the detent. On top of the lower detent release knob (14), there is a hole, you can use the hex key included to increase the spring tension of the click ball inside. The heavier your camera/lens, the stronger tension is required for positive feel.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Problems using the higher count stop / detent rings

Unfortunately, yes I would like to be able to shoot at 300 mm because that panorama is shooting stuff that is the focus of the image that is in the region of 1,179 meters to 2,447 meters (0.73 miles to 1.52 miles) away. Today I shot a different view point of that where I am fortunate enough to have regular access. This point only includes a portion of the skyline, but it is about half as far away and I was able to shoot at 47mm and 122mm.

I would have placed the NN5L on my manfrotto 3275 architectural head to be able to make more consistent movements with the lower arm, but I did not have the bigger diameter screw for the camera plate with me. I was not able to find the larger screw which would allow me to give it a try. It has a course and fine adjustment in 3 axii. It would also reduce movement and probably allow me to shoot at 300mm

I shot some panoramics again today by manually turning the lower head while watching my live view to determine overlap. I successfully stitched together 24 images that were in 3 rows that were shot at 47mm to get an image of 16925 x 5679 pixels. Unfortunately I missed some of the upper left hand region.

I have another that I shot at 122mm that I have not stitched yet.

How did you calculate those numbers. Did you assume that your subject is at a certian distance away from the camera plane (or does distance not matter and only the angle)? Or, did you do it empirically?
  4. Re: Problems using the higher count stop / detent rings

Users Country Flag

The angle of view of a lens is related to its focal length. There are many angle of view or fov calculators on the web. Two I like most are
    www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm
    www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/photos/angles.html

You need to shoot at angular interval smaller (20-30%) than the fov of your lens to allow overlap.
    eg at 300mm on 1.6x sensor, angle of view is 2.86 deg. at 30% overlap, the required shooting interval is 2.86/1.3=2.2 deg. The finest scale on NN5 is 2.5 deg, which means 2.86/2.5=1.144=14.4% overlap. Note that all these calculation is just approximation. But it should be a good enough guide.

nick

Fanotec
  5. Re: Problems using the higher count stop / detent rings

Nick, Thank you for explaining how you determined those angles.

I just bought another base plate for my architectural which includes the larger screw so that I can attach my NN5L to architectural head with fine adjustments. I will determine how fine the adjustment is and the maximum focal length that I can use.
  6. Re: Problems using the higher count stop / detent rings

I was able to shoot a partial gigapixel image the other day with the NN5L on my architectural head. I shot a close subject at 135 mm and successfully stitched it. I was probably to conservative with the overlap, but I feared having gaps after expending all of that effort. These shots will be tedious, but I will be able to make very sharp large prints when my competitors will be softer. I just cannot forget the other aspects of the image because I am focused on this aspect. I believe that I will want to go to a robot head eventually so that I can focus on other aspects of the image.

I will try this setup with the 300 mm lens after I get a web base gigapixel image and a semi large print.
  7. Re: Problems using the higher count stop / detent rings

Users Country Flag

at 300mm FL, the subject should be very distant. NPP should not matter. You don't need a pano head at all.
    how many photos did you take at 135mm?

nick

Fanotec
  8. Re: Problems using the higher count stop / detent rings

I quickly shot 178 images at 135 mm and did not capture the entire shot because I had to go and pick up my daughter from daycare. I was shooting a job in the morning and needed to get some of the panos out that day, so I did not have enough time to do the shot properly. I realized good results from ptgui with a one definite small blurry rectangle. Image size was 43,385 x 17832 for about 773 mega pixels. Parts of the image are transparent because I did not get a complete capture. With more time I would have had a useable image.
+ Reply to Thread