Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

Share/Bookmark
  1. Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

This one turned out a little better. I should have spent a little more time on the nadir though.

Suggestions appreciated.

http://www.rich.org/beachhut.mov

2. Re: Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

Users Country Flag

nice pano. It is a wonderful place for vocation. Did you build the hut yourself?

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

Both panoramas need to be levelled in order to correct the sloping horizons. With nice clear views such as these, it is easy to correct them in PTGui with the optimizer, using either two t2 control points or one t2 and a row of t3 points. In the latter case you would need to have Panorama Tools installed and select the Panorama Tools optimizer, since PTGui's own optimizer does not support t3 points. Or, somewhat less accurately, you could just drag and rotate the image in the Panorama Editor window to align the horizon with the horizontal centre line. More details on levelling panoramas in PTGui at: http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm.

John
  4. Re: Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    nice pano. It is a wonderful place for vocation. Did you build the hut yourself?

nick
    It's an undeveloped (so far) stretch of beach about 10 miles South of Cancun. The locals built a few of those huts to party under while they are playing on the beach.

5. Re: Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    Both panoramas need to be levelled in order to correct the sloping horizons. With nice clear views such as these, it is easy to correct them in PTGui with the optimizer, using either two t2 control points or one t2 and a row of t3 points. In the latter case you would need to have Panorama Tools installed and select the Panorama Tools optimizer, since PTGui's own optimizer does not support t3 points. Or, somewhat less accurately, you could just drag and rotate the image in the Panorama Editor window to align the horizon with the horizontal centre line. More details on levelling panoramas in PTGui at: http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm.

John
    I appreciate the feedback. I'm using Auto Pano Pro to build the panoramas and Stitcher 5.7.1 to convert to QTVR. I think APP has an autolevel feature. I'll have to look at that as well as PTGui.

Thanks again for the suggestions....
  6. Re: Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

Quote Originally Posted by drflash View Post
    I think APP has an autolevel feature. I'll have to look at that as well as PTGui.
    APP does have an autolevel feature, but note that this is guesswork based on image shooting angles and is relative to the vertical axis of rotation of the pano head. If you happened to shoot your panorama with the panohead on the end of a horizontal pole (as some people do to get exciting views from the top of a building, say), then autolevel will give you a panorama that is tilted up or down by 90 degrees. So the accuracy of levelling is very much dependent on how level your panorama head was. There is another levelling feature in APP whereby you identify vertical features in the panorama, such as the sides of doors and buildings. This enables the vertical edges to be properly aligned with the vertical, in which state the horizon becomes flat and level. This method is to be preferred if there are reliable verticals present in the scene, as the levelling of the pano head is then completely irrelevant. PTGui has similar options.

John
  7. Re: Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

John,

I really appreciate your input.

Do you know where I can go for more information on workflow, etc.

Some questions I have are:

1. What is the best size for the final panorama for "full screen" viewing.
    2. What sharpening works best. I've been using unsharp mask 25%, 150 pixels, 0 levels. I've also experimented with 100%, 1 pixel, 0 levels
    3. Is using RealViz to create the QTVR OK or are there better utilities for doing that conversion.
    4. What is the most common viewer ? Right now I'm depending on Quicktime to be installed on the viewers computer.

I appreciate everyone's help. This seems like a great community.

Thanks again !

Rich Drinkard
  8. Re: Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

Q1. Around 6000x3000

Q2. 25%, 150 pixels, 0 levels is a bad setting for sharpening purposes - it affects contrast. There's no ideal setting. You need to observe the effects and make adjustments accordingly to avoid nasty artifacts like halos. Try Amount 70%, Radius 0.6, Threshold 0. See http://ronbigelow.com/articles/sharpen1/sharpen1.htm.

Q3. I haven't used Realviz to create QTVR but I imagine it produces perfectly adequate results. Pano2QTVR and Pano2VR are popular utilities for doing this.

Q4. Flash is now probably the most common viewer, but often gives the worst viewing experience. It's improving gradually. I think DevalVR is best, but that requires a tiny download of the DevalVR plugin. It's possible to use a script to interrogate the user's machine to find out which viewers are installed and then use one of those automatically. For simple web pages that is quite practical - see my page for an example of this (using the detectvr.js script from DevalVR web site): http://www.johnhpanos.com/sphericl.htm. Flash will probably win out in future.

John
  9. Re: Beach hut, Cancun, Mexico...

Thanks so much for the quick and complete response.

It's greatly appreciated.
+ Reply to Thread