Newbie with a few questions... lens choice, software, etc...

Thread: Newbie with a few questions... lens choice, software, etc...

Share/Bookmark
  1. Newbie with a few questions... lens choice, software, etc...

Hello All,

I have a few questions I'm hoping to get help with.

First off, i'd like to say that I'm new to spherical VR's. I've shot and stitched panos in the past, but never 360x180.

My first question is this. What is a good all around lens that I can use for shooting interiors (ie. homes, office buildings, and possibly car interiors) and also landscapes? I have a Canon 450D/ Rebel XTi. I've been think about getting the Canon EF 10-22mm, but have read a few mixed reviews about it. Thoughts? Does anyone have experience with 3rd party lenses and this camera? Like Tokina, Tamron, or Sigma. I was looking at the new Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens, but thought it might be to limited in it's focal length. Has anyone had a chance to use it?

Next question... For software, I have Realviz Stitcher 5.1 and PS CS3 Extended and I'm on a Mac running OS 10.5.4. Is Stitcher 5.1 a good program? I have also read good and bad reviews about it... Does anyone recommend a better program for a Mac user or will Stitcher do the job.

Lastly, the NodalNinja FAQ's page states that the Rebel XTi and 10-22mm lens will not allow for full rotation to +90 degrees. The forums state that you can move the camera up the rail to allow it to rotate, but wouldn't this change the FOV? or am I not understanding. Is the camera moved up the rail, rotated, and then moved back to it's original place on the rail? Also, I use a vertical grip on my Rebel XTi. I know that it won't work with the NN3, but does anyone have a suggestion of how it may work w/ the grip or should I just buy the NN5?

Sorry for the long post guys...

Thanks in Advance for Your Replies,
    mena47

2. Re: Newbie with a few questions... lens choice, software, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mena47 View Post

Lastly, the NodalNinja FAQ's page states that the Rebel XTi and 10-22mm lens will not allow for full rotation to +90 degrees. The forums state that you can move the camera up the rail to allow it to rotate, but wouldn't this change the FOV? or am I not understanding. Is the camera moved up the rail, rotated, and then moved back to it's original place on the rail?
    Since the sky is an infinite distance away, moving the camera an inch or two closer won't create a big parallax problem, and won't change your Field of View. It will simply allow the camera to swing past the bottom rail / point straight up. It would only matter if you were shooting the zenith through windows, or tree cover, or something else close.

My guess

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?
  3. Re: Newbie with a few questions... lens choice, software, etc...

Hi Mena47,

I’m also fairly new to 360x180 panoramas – but I own a NN3 MKII, Canon EOS 30D and a Canon EF-S 10-22 mm. And I can tell you this lens is great, and in my world (and a lot of others) this glass is “red ring L stuff”, but Canon can’t have a EF-S L lens…. So.

My setup with the 30D and EF-S 10-22 mm. lets me do +90 degrees without moving the camerahousing, it’s a tight fit though, but it’s doable. And the setting on the upper rail is set to 94 mm. @ 10 mm. focal length in according to the database….. http://nodalninja.com/nodal_ninja_3_..._settings.html

Peter
  4. Re: Newbie with a few questions... lens choice, software, etc...

Thanks for the tips guys. I bought the 10-22mm lens. It's great!

Any recommendations for software. I currently have stitcher 5.1, but I'm wondering if there is something out there that's better.

Also, what to I need to embed these tours on a webpage. I would also like to allow people to embed these on their sites, (like a YouTube video link). Any ideas?

Thanks,
    mena47