Help needed - Lower Rail Bent

Thread: Help needed - Lower Rail Bent

Share/Bookmark
  1. Help needed - Lower Rail Bent

Hi all, I've been using NN3 MKII for a while and it works really well.

Recently, in an accident, my tripod fell to the ground with the NN3 mounted on it (good thing I've already removed my camera). Upon checking, I noticed that the lower rail is bent, probably due to impact on the ground (Pls see attached image).

I was wondering if I can still use the NN3 effectively. If I align the pano head based on the spirit level on NN3 (which is close to the rotating knob), the camera would be tilted (due to the lower rail bent). Will the rotation about the nodal point still be effective? Is there likely to have parallax problems when I take panoramic photos? Is there any way to counter this deviation?

Thank you all for your input & comments.
  2. Re: Help needed - Lower Rail Bent

Quote Originally Posted by lexean View Post

Is there likely to have parallax problems when I take panoramic photos? Is there any way to counter this deviation?
    Put the part between two pieces of 2X4 and wedge some popsicle sticks in there to correct (actually over-correct) the bend. Put the whole mess inside a large carpenter's vise and torque it down.

Voila!

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?
  3. Re: Help needed - Lower Rail Bent

Quote Originally Posted by lexean View Post
    Hi all, I've been using NN3 MKII for a while and it works really well.

Recently, in an accident, my tripod fell to the ground with the NN3 mounted on it (good thing I've already removed my camera). Upon checking, I noticed that the lower rail is bent, probably due to impact on the ground (Pls see attached image).
    I was wondering if I can still use the NN3 effectively. If I align the pano head based on the spirit level on NN3 (which is close to the rotating knob), the camera would be tilted (due to the lower rail bent). Will the rotation about the nodal point still be effective? Is there likely to have parallax problems when I take panoramic photos? Is there any way to counter this deviation?
    Thank you all for your input & comments.
    These things happen from time to time.
    If you are unable to straighten it touch bases with me: bill[at]nodalninja[dot]com.
    I may be able to salvage an older trade-in lower rail for you at a very reasonable cost.
    Bill