NN3 MKII + D700?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3 MKII + D700?

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 MKII + D700?

I probably should have asked here before placing my order but you live and learn...

I'm getting a D700 and want to do some 2 or 3 row panos to produce 24 - 50 Mega pixed equivalent images. I don't plan on using heavy wide angle zooms on the rig rather 35mm or 50mm Nikon primes - maybe 85mm max.

Based on the camera compatibility list I judged that the D300 was close enough to a D700 body and so ordered the NN3.

I'm now having second thoughts and fear that I may find I should have got the NN5 instead.

Any thoughts/advice?
  2. Re: NN3 MKII + D700?

Users Country Flag

after you paid so much for D700, you should get the NN5/L for best result. For cameras like D200/300, 5D, NN3 should only be used for fisheye lens. Camera shake will be a problem for 50/85mm lens.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: NN3 MKII + D700?

After paying so much for a D700 (along with some nice glass to go with it) the NN3 was already making my pips squeak so a NN5 was way off the radar.

Looking at the FAQ sheet it was mentioned that the NN3 was good for loads up to 4lbs. I estimated that the D700 with an 85mm attached is about 3lbs, so it should be well within the capabilities of the NN3. Only one way to find out now I suppose as it's already on it's way across the pond!!!
  4. Re: NN3 MKII + D700?

Users Country Flag

Hi MarcP,

NN3 can sure take much more than 4 lbs without any danger of damage. But how good it performs depends on the weight of the camera and lens, center of mass, the focal length and shutter speed used. This is something I can't predict. The major problem is camera shake. This situation is the same as tripod. The lighter and less expensive tripod is just not going to perform as well as the heavier and more expensive one. But you can't say it doesn't work.

You can test the NN3 for your gear yourself. It is covered by the 30 days return policy if it doesn't serve you well.

nick

Fanotec
  5. Re: NN3 MKII + D700?

How are you liking that D700?
  6. Re: NN3 MKII + D700?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    How are you liking that D700?
    Bill, listen to me. You should NOT get the D700 cos your D300 is so new.

nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: NN3 MKII + D700?

hmm - full frame....
    Just think of the valued testing so I can tell the customer how well the D700 works with NN3 and NN5.
    And it's tax deductible!
    Besides - my family many times gets my hand me downs so they will love me - win win
  8. Re: NN3 MKII + D700?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Besides - my family many times gets my hand me downs so they will love me - win win
    Adopt me!
  9. Re: NN3 MKII + D700?

+ Reply to Thread