what do you think of the size and weight of NN5?

Thread: what do you think of the size and weight of NN5?

Share/Bookmark
  1. what do you think of the size and weight of NN5?

Users Country Flag

Dear NN5/L users,

Do you think the size of NN5/L optimal? Do you think it is on the heavy side? In the design stage, I aimed for max compatibility and opted for a size that would work for almost all popular lens and cameras. Do you think the size can be reduced a bit to optimize use of wide angle lens only? I am not saying I can do anything for the current design. But your feedbacks will help me design the future NNs.
    thx a lot

Nick

BTW, a shorter lower rail for NN5/L is coming soon. It will work best for cameras without battery grip.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  2. Re: what do you think of the size and weight of NN5?

The current size works great for my Canon 40D with WFT-E3A grip

--
    Kirk
    Moss Creek Media
    www.MossCreekMedia.com
  3. Re: what do you think of the size and weight of NN5?

4. Re: what do you think of the size and weight of NN5?

Nick,
    I just spent a week day hiking. With a D3 and three full-frame lenses, the pack gets heavy fast. Even with a carbon fiber tripod and 1 lb head, it all got to be a bit too cumbersome. I'd love to have had a lighter weight pano head. That being said, I was trying a lot of HDR panos, so I wouldn't have wanted to lose the rock-solid stability. And when it came to ditching weight, I ended up leaving a lens in the car instead of the pano head. And in all fairness, my last pano head was wood, so I'm used to the low weight, but it never would have handled the D3.

BTW, the NN5L worked great in all other regards for this type of photography. Setup/break down was fast (I left the horizontal and vertical arms together in an 'L' shape - it fit perfectly in the top of my pack that way), QR clamp worked well, and the detents made shooting much faster than what I was previously used to.
  5. Re: what do you think of the size and weight of NN5?

I think you got it just right. I use it with a 40d and lenses from 12-24mm, 24-105mm and 135mm near the car and on long hikes. I like the stability and have no problem with the weight. I would leave something else behind if the weight gets too much.

Richard
  6. Re: what do you think of the size and weight of NN5?

Hi Nick,

I've done a few panos already with the D3+14-24, and the size is exactly perfect. I now have to setups. The D3 for high end work, with the NN5 and a sturdy metal Manfrotto tripod - a heavy combination, not something I would like to trek with. For trekking, the D80 + 10.5 fisheye, the NN3 and a light weight carbon Gitzo are what I use. Both combinations are just about perfect for my purpose, and the size of both of your heads fits exactly, i.e. I can move the camera to point at the Zenith, almost touching the base as doing so.

Best regards,

Stephane
  7. Re: what do you think of the size and weight of NN5?

I'm a hiker and less weight is always better.
    Stability, functionality, and ease of use are still more important. The current NN5L provides all of these.

A shorter lower rail would be welcome for my 450D, but my NN5L case will still be the same size =)

The shorter lower rail should be a better fit, but will it make much difference in weight?

David
  8. Re: what do you think of the size and weight of NN5?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    The shorter lower rail should be a better fit, but will it make much difference in weight?
    shorter rail is about 30g lighter.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.