Sigma 100-300 f/4 and NN5

Thread: Sigma 100-300 f/4 and NN5

Share/Bookmark
  1. Sigma 100-300 f/4 and NN5

Hello
    i'm new in this forum (sorry for my english).

I would like to know if it's possible to use the Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX IF HSM APO with the Nodal Ninja 5 (i have a Nikon D300).

Thanks in advance.
  2. Re: Sigma 100-300 f/4 and NN5

Users Country Flag

what is your purpose of using this lens? high resolution lanscape of distant objects? macro panorama?
    The lens seems long (223.5mm). depending on the NPP, you may/may not rotate about the NPP. But NPP is not important for distance objects.

you can follow John's instruction to estimate the NPP/ entrance pupil position.

You can find the approximate position of the entrance pupil (which is commonly called the nodal point) simply by looking into the front of the lens with your two eyes. To see it, though, you will need to stop the lens down to f/22, say, with the depth of field button and point the eyepiece on the back of the camera towards a bright light like a window. This will illuminate the entrance pupil by light reflected through the reflex system, so you just see a bright spot. As you alter the zoom, the entrance pupil will be seen to move forwards and backwards. In some zoom lenses, the entrance pupil can move right back behind the sensor, making it difficult to position it on the rotation axis to avoid parallax.

The NPP to lens collar tripod socket distance must be smaller than 150mm for NN5.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Sigma 100-300 f/4 and NN5

@Nick Fan
    Thank you for Your answer.

Sorry another time for my bad english, i have some questions:

My purpose is to use this zoom lens for high resolution mosaic "landscape-mountain" panorama.
    I would like to buy this lens because my Nikkor 18-200 VR is a little "short" for some high resolution mountains panoramas in my country.

For my purpose the nodal point is not important for stitching the panorama or it's possible to have some parallax problem if in the panorama are present some object (example fir-wood) not enough distance to the shooting position (less 30-40mt)?

There is the possibility to calculate in base to the focal lenght of the zoom lens the minimum distance of the near object for not have parallax or other problems?

Thanks in advance for Your answer

Skyrunner

4. Re: Sigma 100-300 f/4 and NN5

Users Country Flag

the expert and pioneer in high resolution mosaics, Max Lyons, has a few useful Photography Calculators available.
    http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/ca...phy_calculator
    you will find the parallax calculator there too.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: Sigma 100-300 f/4 and NN5

@ Nick Fan

Thank You very much for Your information and to everyone support this forum.

(Mandi) Greetings from North-East Italy
    Pauli