__ Anybody using the Manfrotto 200PLARCH Quick Release plate ?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: __ Anybody using the Manfrotto 200PLARCH Quick Release plate ?

Share/Bookmark
  1. __ Anybody using the Manfrotto 200PLARCH Quick Release plate ?

I've searched here, and on The Google, but I can't find any good close-ups or an explanation of the shape / dimensions of the stainless 'lip' that is supposed to keep the body from rotating. I want to use it on a Canon S5 is and it needs to allow the screen to open / close without interference. I don't mind grinding some of it off . . . I just can't find a better picture of it or any specs about how far it can slide.

Here's some pictures and a bit of an article that mentions it on the nikonians:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...ball-head.html

Anybody got a profile view close-up of the stainless steel part ?

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?
  2. Re: __ Anybody using the Manfrotto 200PLARCH Quick Release plate ?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wide-Eyed View Post
    I've searched here, and on The Google, but I can't find any good close-ups or an explanation of the shape / dimensions of the stainless 'lip' that is supposed to keep the body from rotating. I want to use it on a Canon S5 is and it needs to allow the screen to open / close without interference. I don't mind grinding some of it off . . . I just can't find a better picture of it or any specs about how far it can slide.

Here's some pictures and a bit of an article that mentions it on the nikonians:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...ball-head.html

Anybody got a profile view close-up of the stainless steel part ?

I use it on my canon G6... I had to grind a little off one end of the lip. I turned the lip around so that is holds on the back of the camera, as there is no room under the lens for it. It has more than enough adjustment on the G6. I would have thought it would be more than enough for about any camera.

The lip is 3mm high and the plate can adjust 10mm both forward and back from the side of the mounting screw.
  3. Re: __ Anybody using the Manfrotto 200PLARCH Quick Release plate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post

. . . . .The lip is 3mm high and the plate can adjust 10mm both forward and back from the side of the mounting screw.
    That's exactly what I wanted to know, Thanks!

. . . Is the lip bent squarely, like an 'L', or more curled, like a 'C' ? In the pictures it looks curled . . .

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?
  4. Re: __ Anybody using the Manfrotto 200PLARCH Quick Release plate ?

Users Country Flag

it is not so much of a c but it starts vertically then the top one mm is stepped back about a half mm then vertical again,
    this ensures any curve in the base of the camera does not prevent firm contact at the lip.

Terry
  5. Bought it, modified it to fit Canon S5 is

I special ordered one at McBain in Edmonton for about $28.

The stainless steel plate was razor sharp on a couple of the edges, so I dulled them down with a file even before I cut out a chunk of the lip with the Dremmel Tool. After all the sharp edges had been tidied up the plate was too loose so I used a pair of ViseGrips to tighten the lip on one side and it vastly improved the function of the ARCH concept (the plate is supposed to keep the camera from wobbling side to side).

Now the stainless part fits tight and I don't have to over-tighten the tripod screw to prevent the camera shifting in the portrait position. Manfrotto stuff is OK, but you often have to fiddle with it to 'tune it up'.

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?
  6. Re: __ Anybody using the Manfrotto 200PLARCH Quick Release plate ?

Users Country Flag

Pretty much the same as mine now.

That is true, Manfrotto stuff is a little crude but effective. A small amount of fettling is often needed.
    But it is much less expensive than their top line Gitzo range of tripods that they finish to a higher standard.

Terry
+ Reply to Thread