NN3 vs NN5

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3 vs NN5

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 vs NN5

I'm thinking of getting an NN but I'm still not clear on a couple of issues. If I pick one up it's for a trip in mid-july, so considering the wait time on shipping I would need to get it right the first time since I won't have to time to exchange / order more parts.

1. what is the weight of the NN5? The product page says "5-7kg without detent rings" but I'm hoping that's supportable mass, not the mass of the device itself.
    2. can the NN5 be ordered stand-alone?
    3. what is the total clearance of the NN3 and the NN5? That is, longest body+lense length that will fit?
    4. does the NN3 not have detent rings smaller than 15 due to technical limitations? ( a 100mm lense suggests increments of 10 degrees for 25% overlap )

I plan to use it with a 5d + canon 100mm macro or canon 135L or canon 200mm/2.8. Does this fit in the NN3?

Thanks in advance,
    Ido.

2. Re: NN3 vs NN5

Users Country Flag

NN5 can accommodate most DSLRS to date. There is no easy way to tell which lens will fit because it depends on where the entrance pupil is positioned.
    For best performance, NN3 is just for wide/ultra wide angle lens on compact DSLR. It also works best for PS cameras.
    For your lens, you need NN5L. It weighs about 1kg. You can order it standalone for $349.95.
    A feature that many people find indispensable is the pan lock on the rotator in NN5L.
    The smallest detent interval is limited by the diameter of the detent ring. The larger the ring, the finer the smallest interval.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Hi Nick,
    I am frustrated. I have searched your site for 2 days probably for 7 or 8 hours looking for simple things in the search feature.
    Nick, I have been using searches on google and yahoo and other sites for over 20 years. I can even do DOS searches. This is the WORST of all. It returns hundreds of unrelated posts and usually never touches upon the subject searched. Try for instance searching for Canon 100mm macro in all its different iterations and with all different search protocals applies. It will either return 100 or more unrelated posts, posts which do not even mention the search phrase, returns which often do not even contain "Canon" or "100" or "macro" anywhere in the dialog, or it returns a nada. It is plain horrible. Can't you utilize a better engine? This thing sucks
    Croce
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Croce View Post
    Hi Nick,
    I am frustrated. I have searched your site for 2 days probably for 7 or 8 hours looking for simple things in the search feature.
    Nick, I have been using searches on google and yahoo and other sites for over 20 years. I can even do DOS searches. This is the WORST of all. It returns hundreds of unrelated posts and usually never touches upon the subject searched. Try for instance searching for Canon 100mm macro in all its different iterations and with all different search protocals applies. It will either return 100 or more unrelated posts, posts which do not even mention the search phrase, returns which often do not even contain "Canon" or "100" or "macro" anywhere in the dialog, or it returns a nada. It is plain horrible. Can't you utilize a better engine? This thing sucks
    Croce
    Hi Croce,

Do you mean forum search? We have changed forum software a few times in the past. That may screw up searching of the old posts.
    I am not an IT guy, I will ask out IT guy.
    What do you want to search/ ask? Opening a new post if you can't get good result from the search.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Croce View Post
    Hi Nick,
    Croce
    Dear Croce - welcome to our forum.
    Your first post is surprising to us. Why do you search so many hours (2 days - 8hrs?) without positive results especially on simple things. First few clicks and searches would have given clue to expected results. People generally do not tag their posts with keywords or phrases even though this feature is available. Our forum is not that complex. Our customer support is easily reached by email [cs[at]nn.com] and we are available by phone as well. You should never rely "so" heavily on search results to find the simple things you are looking. This is small forum and we are small company owing many thanks to all contributors. Why not just ask in separate thread your questions? I do not believe your public comments are justified. Based on your IP address it appears you are nearby - I would encourage you to stop by our shop - we can help you out personally with your concerns. btw we have coffee and beverages and at the very least you can view our entire lineup (note office hours on our website).

Best
    Bill
+ Reply to Thread