What is in the numbers?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is in the numbers?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. What is in the numbers?

Why are the Nodal Ninja models numbered 3 and 5?

What happened to 4?
    Was it a failure?
    Or is the number 4 out due to a superstition?

David
  2. Re: What is in the numbers?

Users Country Flag

"4" is a unlucky number in Asian culture. So you see many manufacturers just skip 4 in the numbering. While I am not superstitious, I don't think I need to challenge this convention, after all, Asia is part of our market. what I think does not matter, it is what (Asian) customers think that matters. So I skip NN4. :-)
    However, there is indeed room for a panohead with size bigger than NN3 and smaller than NN5. It will work for most wide angle lens. It is more compact and lighter. So there may be a NN4 in the future. At the moment, it is not an effective use of our limited resources. But I imagine the reduced size will make it easier to manufacture.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: What is in the numbers?

Hello Nick,

Thanks for the missing "NN4" explanation.
    So it has all to do with the fact that some numbers don't feel well.

Among panorama makers it is a fact that the numbers 5 and 7 are not very favorite.
    If you look at the specs of panoheads you can see that there must be some kind of resistance against those numbers because very few manufacturers are supporting those numbers.
    One of the first things I tried out with my Seitz VR drive was how it worked with 5 and 7 round ;-)
    (BTW, the answer is: great, 5 round @ 14,6mm with my Tokina 10-17mm is one of my preferred settings ;-)

All the best,

Wim.

4. Re: What is in the numbers?

Then you have missing 13th floors in many hotels, or missing room numbers of 666.
    And what happened to Nikon D250? We have the D200 and D300. :-\

Then you have the psychology of numbers. Odd numbers typically sell better than items when even numbers.
    Pricing the same. Instead of $200 we sell for $199.95.

Many variables come into play when selecting numbers (personal and professional). Not selecting a particular number (4) should not imply failure, if it does then having the next number up (5) should imply success
  5. Re: What is in the numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Not selecting a particular number (4) should not imply failure, if it does then having the next number up (5) should imply success
    As a happy NN5 user I whole-hearted can say: How true ;-)

Wim.
  6. Re: What is in the numbers?

Here in Korea, our buildings often skip the 4th floor or use the letter F instead.
    In that case, the elevator button sequence is 2 - 3 - F - 5 - 6 ...

I did not realize some manufacturers avoid using 4.
    Then the new *mid-sized* NN can be named the NNF

Interesting Bill, the psychology of numbers. Then there actually is reason behind the seemingly chaotic numbering of camera models!
+ Reply to Thread