My setup

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My setup

Share/Bookmark
  1. My setup

Here's some pictures of my NN5L setup, rigged with some extra bits to have a full quick release solution. Apologies for the snapshot-quality, there wasn't enough natural light available when I shot these and all I had to compensate was onboard flash.

Parts list:
    • Canon 40D
    • Sigma 10/2.8 Fisheye
    • Nodal Ninja 5L
    • Gitzo GT1540 tripod
    • Markins Q3 ballhead
    • Markins QR-60 clamp
    • Markins PG-40 camera plate
    • Markins P67U plate
  2. Re: My setup

Users Country Flag

Hey, did you make the custom adapter for your Markin clamp?

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: My setup

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Hey, did you make the custom adapter for your Markin clamp?
    I'm still one part short for that.

For now, I just attached the clamp to the stock NN5 camera plate. The rubber padding on the plate appears to be effective enough to counteract twisting (judging by some testing in the field).

On the other hand, it seems like the camera doesn't sit perfectly vertical, even though the NN5 is leveled out according to its spirit level. So far, I've only eyeballed the situation though; I'll try to get some exact measurements soon. A hot shoe bubble level should confirm if what I'm seeing is just an optical illusion and if not, which part of the assembly is responsible for the misalignment.
  4. Re: My setup

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rvdw98 View Post
    I'm still one part short for that.

For now, I just attached the clamp to the stock NN5 camera plate. The rubber padding on the plate appears to be effective enough to counteract twisting (judging by some testing in the field).

On the other hand, it seems like the camera doesn't sit perfectly vertical, even though the NN5 is leveled out according to its spirit level. So far, I've only eyeballed the situation though; I'll try to get some exact measurements soon. A hot shoe bubble level should confirm if what I'm seeing is just an optical illusion and if not, which part of the assembly is responsible for the misalignment.
    You have a lot of contact faces in that set up, so any misalignment mights just be cumulative rather than in one component.
    In any event a slight misalignment in such a set up is not important in achieving a perfect pan. it will be consistent to every shot so will never cause a stitching problem.
    The eye is very sensitive to misalignments and they are more irritating than important.
  5. Re: My setup

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    The eye is very sensitive to misalignments and they are more irritating than important.
    Yep, even a gross deviation is usually quickly amended in PTGui. But I'm kinda anal about these things, so I'm at least going to make an effort to get things straightened out, so to speak.
  6. Re: My setup

I have the same kind of setup but with an older, relatively cheaper, 3-Axis head. For shooting panoramas, I actually find it much more practical than a ball head.
  7. Re: My setup

Quote Originally Posted by stephd View Post
    I have the same kind of setup but with an older, relatively cheaper, 3-Axis head. For shooting panoramas, I actually find it much more practical than a ball head.
    I went the opposite way. I've been using a 3-way head for a long time, but found it cumbersome to adjust. I was always fiddling with the wrong handle, losing time and photo opportunities along the way.

I also had a ballhead, but it was of the kind that would make the top-heavy NN assembly topple over when adjusting its position. The Markins head can be adjusted while there is still a predefined minimum amount of friction being exercised on the ball. This allows for both quick (as opposed to my 3-way head) and secure (as opposed to my old ballhead) adjustments. I've only been using this combo for a short while, but it has already grown on me.
  8. Re: My setup

Interesting setup, I've been thinking of doing something similar with the quick release clamps if I decide to get the Nodal Ninja. I'm a bit concerned about the stability of such a tall rig with ballhead + Nodal Ninja, though. How do you find it in practice, any danger of accidental movement while panning?
  9. Re: My setup

Quote Originally Posted by Arkku View Post
    How do you find it in practice, any danger of accidental movement while panning?
    None whatsoever in my experience.

It all boils down to how much tolerance you allow for. If you want a rigid, yet easy to use setup, you generally wind up with heavy and expensive parts. But depending on how demanding you are, you may also be quite satisfied with a more economical setup than the one I'm using (or an even more expensive one for that matter).

My key demands were stability and ease of use in a smallish, light weight package. And this setup suits me just right in those areas. I can throw this, a wide angle lens for regular landscapes and a few odds and ends in my backpack and easily carry it for a few hours while hiking or biking. Still, the system is quick to setup and stable enough.

Mind you, that little Q3 ball head is rated for up to 200mm lenses and I'm doing panos with a 10mm fisheye. So there's some clearance fo the extra bits I've slapped on.
  10. Re: My setup

I have been looking for a way to make a panorama setup work with quick release equipment. Thanks for posting these pictures.

Question: Fanotec now is selling an Arca Swiss style clamp and plate. I wonder if you could use the NN Arca Swiss style clamp instead of the NN5 Camera Plate identified in your photos... that is, that the clamp be mounted directly to the long rail of the NN. This would reduce one of the pieces in your setup, i.e., the NN camera plate. Or, could the Markins QR-60 plate be mounted directly to the long rail of the Nodal Ninja?

And, it seems like this setup would be easy to go from installing the NN pano setup to removing it and popping your camera back into the Markins ball head for normal shooting. Yes

TIA

--Doug
  11. Re: My setup

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
    I have been looking for a way to make a panorama setup work with quick release equipment. Thanks for posting these pictures.

Question: Fanotec now is selling an Arca Swiss style clamp and plate. I wonder if you could use the NN Arca Swiss style clamp instead of the NN5 Camera Plate identified in your photos... that is, that the clamp be mounted directly to the long rail of the NN. This would reduce one of the pieces in your setup, i.e., the NN camera plate. Or, could the Markins QR-60 plate be mounted directly to the long rail of the Nodal Ninja?

And, it seems like this setup would be easy to go from installing the NN pano setup to removing it and popping your camera back into the Markins ball head for normal shooting. Yes

TIA

--Doug

Hi Doug,

You need the camera mounting plate or the new low profile adapter plate. With the new Arca style QR plate (ASQRP1) and clamp (ASQRC1), you can mount in reproducible position on NNs. Not sure NN3/ NN3II has enough room for adjustment on the lower rail for your camera. The QR system usually require extra 22mm clearance.

nick

Fanotec
  12. Re: My setup

Thanks for sharing your setup. I am also looking to build good setup. What tripod series are you using? Series 2 or 3? I have concern about stability in arca style clamp at the base of NN5. I have Fuji S5 with battery grip and Nikkor 70mm-200mm f/2.8. I still have no idea which rigs to choose. Right now I am looking at Gitzo series 2 or series 3 without lvl, Acratech leveling base (http://acratech.net/product.php?prod...3&cat=2&page=1), markins tripod base TB-20 or TB-30 and NN5 with R-D12. I am not sure NN5 has quick release clamp that can use with quick release plate attache to camera. With your setup, I can see a lot of space taking between camera and NN5 arm, which I think can give sagging.

Woody
  13. Re: My setup

Thanks so much for the pictures of your setup. I think I might be able to duplicate it for my purposes. I already have the Markin ballhead. I will see how it works. Cheers
  14. Re: My setup

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post

Hi Doug,

You need the camera mounting plate or the new low profile adapter plate. With the new Arca style QR plate (ASQRP1) and clamp (ASQRC1), you can mount in reproducible position on NNs. Not sure NN3/ NN3II has enough room for adjustment on the lower rail for your camera. The QR system usually require extra 22mm clearance.

nick
    What are the "new low profile adapter plate" and ASQRP1 ?

David
  15. Re: My setup

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    What are the "new low profile adapter plate" and ASQRP1 ?

David
    HI David,

we make some thinner (by 7mm) QR adapters. This will make QR compatible with more cameras on NN3. But it is only recommended for QR with lever lock.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/rp1-38.htm

nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread