NN5 + Panasonic FZ-50 + Raynox DCR-CF185PRO

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN5 + Panasonic FZ-50 + Raynox DCR-CF185PRO

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. NN5 + Panasonic FZ-50 + Raynox DCR-CF185PRO

Hello!
    First sorry for my bad English... Im not used to post in English-spoken forums...
    I have follwing question:
    I am the owner of a Panasonic FZ-50 and I plan to buy a new fisheye and nodalpointadapter.
    Can anybody say me if the follwing combination will work:

- FZ-50
    - Raynox DCR-CF185PRO http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/fz30/index.htm
    - NN5

The length will be 240mm and will weight 1300g. Where the nodal point will b, I dont know.

Thank you for your answers.

Greetings from Germany
    Daniel
  2. Re: NN5 + Panasonic FZ-50 + Raynox DCR-CF185PRO

Users Country Flag

HI Daniel,

The FZ50-CF185 combo is heavy and very long. It may not work well on NN5 at the moment (prone to twist). That said I plan to make optional support for NN5 for fisheye converters like CF-185 and FC-E9.
    if you are planning to make single row spherical pano from the combo (3 shots or 4 shots), you can consider a cheaper alternative, our coming Nodal Ninja 180.
    http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.php?topic=92.0

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: NN5 + Panasonic FZ-50 + Raynox DCR-CF185PRO

Hi Nick,

Daniel is a newbie in our german forum, and just starts to get an equipment for panorama making.

The idea is to get a panohead that offers all possibilities when he wants to updrade his equipment one day. There are other panoheads available which cope with Daniels equipment, but its bulky.

When I see the long lens samples in your gallery I do not think that the weight of Daniels equipment is the issue. So let me ask again. Is it the long distance between center of gravity and camera thread? In the last case a bracket similar to this, sliding on the upper rail of the NN5 could give additional support to camera and lens

i also think that 50 or 60 deg up would be of for the zenith shot - makes it easier to link the zenith to the other pictures. So I dont see a no-go for the NN5.

Regards, Martin
  4. Re: NN5 + Panasonic FZ-50 + Raynox DCR-CF185PRO

Users Country Flag

hi Martin,

I have checked the dimensions of Fz50 from spec and photos from reviews. The distance from tripod mount to the filter thread is about 110mm. This is very long considering the size of cf-185 is size 96 x 98mm. So the combo is over 200mm in length. Do you know the distance from tripod mount to the NNP of cf185? I see a home-made bracket in the germany site. Do you have the dimensions?
    thanks a lot.

Nick

Fanotec
  5. Re: NN5 + Panasonic FZ-50 + Raynox DCR-CF185PRO

Hi Nick,

I expect the NPP about 10 to 15mm behind the front lens. Unfortunately I can not give you the exact position because I sold this lens a long time ago. The plumbers clamp shown clamps the lens at the long 62mm diameter, the distance center clamp - 3/8" thread is 55mm, but that was only roughly estimated due to the long 62 diameter. There is plenty of space to adjust the thread to the NPP.

This
    http://www.panoseite.de/html/NPP-R1-185pro.html
    is a decent support construction which helped me to estimate the NPP.

Regards, Martin
  6. Re: NN5 + Panasonic FZ-50 + Raynox DCR-CF185PRO

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by emess View Post

This
    http://www.panoseite.de/html/NPP-R1-185pro.html
    is a decent support construction which helped me to estimate the NPP.

Regards, Martin
    Martin,

Excellent work! But it is not very helpful without the dimensions. ;-)

nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: NN5 + Panasonic FZ-50 + Raynox DCR-CF185PRO

Users Country Flag

Hi Daniel,

From the length of the converter and camera, I guess it may work with a T-30 adapter as extension. With T-30, the max room of adjustment is 185mm from pivot to tripod mount. T-30 has a large area of contact, so it should generate enough frict to hold the weight and prevent twisting.
    That said, we are going to make an adapter for dual shot support. This adapter will increase the length of adjustment by 30-40mm. However, this adapter will only work with single row or double row symmetrical to the horizontal (eg +15 deg and -15 deg, +45 deg and -45 deg).
    We may also make a lens collar for cf185 if there is a demand.

nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread