Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

I am using a Markins Q3 ball head for non-pano purposes, but am looking for a way to also use it in combination with my NN5L. Because the Q3 is fitted with a QR-60 clamp, it would be nice if I could fit the same clamp to my NN5L. Question is, will I be able to mount the QR-60 clamp to the NN5L's supplied camera plate securely, i.e. without having to worry about it slipping or twisting. I could then stick a Markins plate under the NN5L's rotor and have a full, uniform Quick Release solution.

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/QR-60.php

I know that a dedicated Arca-Swiss compatible clamp has been made available by Nick, but I'm still leaning towards using the QR-60 instead because this would give me the same clamp on both my Q3 ball head and the NN5L. The QR-60 also has a detent pin which, combined with a Markins plate, allows me to lock in my camera in the same position each time. I find the locking tabs on the dedicated clamp somewhat visually unappealing.

Any comments on this proposed combo?
  2. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

Users Country Flag

it depends on the weight of your lens and camera. The friction from the camera mounting plate should be enough for 2kg considering the small area of contact surface on the QR-60.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

I was thinking about that. The custom clamp (http://www.nodalninja.com/arca_style...ase_clamp.html) appears to have a metal stud which presumably lines up with the hole in the NN5L's camera plate.

I'm wondering if the Markins clamp could be fitted with a similar type stud. From the images on the Markins site (http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/QR-60.php) it looks like the clamp has a hole where this stud would have to be. Could this hole be fitted with a similar type stud to make it compatible with the custom clamp?

For this to be possible, the hole in the Markins clamp would need to line up with the stud in the custom clamp. It would probably also need to be threaded for any type of stud to be fitted. And then I'd still need the stud itself. :-\

I know, looks like a lot of hoops to jump through for something that has such a neat solution readily available, but I'm particular that way.
  4. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

Users Country Flag

what I can do is supply you a camera mounting plate without rubber attached. You can cut a plastic plate that match the notch at the front of Markins clamp. Then you glue the plate to the camera mounting plate.

nick

Fanotec
  5. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

Thanks for contributing to the thought process Nick, I do appreciate it.

What you're proposing sounds quite feasible. I'm assuming that the "rubber-less" plate is not readily available from your website so how would I go about ordering one?
  6. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rvdw98 View Post
    Thanks for contributing to the thought process Nick, I do appreciate it.

What you're proposing sounds quite feasible. I'm assuming that the "rubber-less" plate is not readily available from your website so how would I go about ordering one?
    if you have any special request, ask the reseller and the reseller will ask me. :-)

nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

My reseller just quoted me 6-8 weeks on the dedicated NN5 clamp, and that's a generally available article. I'm afraid to ask how long I'd have to wait for a "custom" item...

I don't suppose there is a faster road to salvation?
  8. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

No response means no alternative?

The prospect of having to wait several weeks for such a simple item is kind of discouraging...
  9. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

Users Country Flag

No response means no alternative?

The prospect of having to wait several weeks for such a simple item is kind of discouraging...
    hi,

where are you located? You want our dedicated NN5 clamp now? Order it direct from USA, main website. if you just need a camera mounting plate without rubber, I can send you one quickly.

nick

Fanotec
  10. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    where are you located? You want our dedicated NN5 clamp now? Order it direct from USA, main website. if you just need a camera mounting plate without rubber, I can send you one quickly.
    I'm in Europe (the Netherlands). I'd just need a camera plate without rubber so I can couple it with the Markins plate I ordered yesterday.

Do you want me to IM/PM you my address?
  11. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

Users Country Flag

I'm in Europe (the Netherlands). I'd just need a camera plate without rubber so I can couple it with the Markins plate I ordered yesterday.

Do you want me to IM/PM you my address?
    pm me your address.

nick

Fanotec
  12. Re: Markins QR-60 clamp compatible with NN5 camera plate?

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    pm me your address.
    Done.
+ Reply to Thread